YOUR LETTER MUST BE TYPED, DATED, AND SIGNED. ATTACH YOUR LETTER TO THE APPEAL FORM AND ATTACH ALL APPLICABLE DOCUMENTATION BEFORE TURNING IN THE APPEAL PACKET. INCOMPLETE PACKETS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
When writing your appeal letter, follow the outline below. Please include as much information as possible and address the circumstances for which you are requesting an appeal.
- You may address your letter to: Student Appeals Committee
- State your intentions to appeal your suspension for the coming academic year.
- Describe the extenuating circumstances involved or your reason for appealing. If possible, give dates and reference specific time periods and how these events affected your performance in the past semester(s). Extenuating circumstances deemed acceptable are:
- Personal illness or injury
- Death of a close family member
- Natural disaster
- Traumatic event
- National defense
- Other extenuating circumstances for unsatisfactory progress.
- Reference your documentation in the letter. Describe what you have attached and why it applies to your appeal. See the “Criteria and Required Documentation For Filing For A Waiver Of Suspension Period” on the reverse side of your appeal form for examples of acceptable documentation
- Explain why the conditions no longer (or have a lesser chance to) pose a threat to satisfactory academic performance.
- Provide a plan for academic success. Describe what you have done or plan to do in the future to improve your academic performance (give specific examples: go to tutoring, counseling, reduce work hours, reduce credit hours carried, etc.).
- State your readiness to assume responsibility for improving your academic progress.