Welcome to Biological Sciences at Nicholls State University.
Our department offers 14 concentrations areas of study for students pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences. We also offer a minor in Biological Sciences and a Master of Science degree in Marine and Environmental Biology.
Join us in the Department of Biological Sciences if you:
- are interested in strong preparation for a lifelong commitment to learning,
- are searching for a fair but demanding curriculum of instruction,
- are willing to be part of dynamic student organizations, such as the Biology Society and the Pre-Professional Medical Society and
- are seeking the opportunity to work and learn with scientists who are eminent in their respective fields of study.
Check out our website. You’ll arrive at the same conclusion that thousands of our graduates have: You don’t just study life, you prepare for it.
Dr. Quenton Fontenot
Interim Department Head of Biological Sciences
Study marine biology in Louisiana’s marshes and swamps.
Help end coastal erosion.
Make seafood safer to eat.
Only at Nicholls!
- November 7, 2012 at 4:03 pmDr. Gary LaFleur brought four Nicholls Biology undergraduate students to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Fall Undergraduate Research Invitational. Each student gave a presentation on their research. The students, coauthors, a...
- November 7, 2012 at 4:03 pmTo meet the needs of our students and prepare a workforce for the burgeoning medical research field, the Department of Biological Sciences is introducing the Cell and Molecular Biology Concentration for the Fall 2012 semester....
- November 7, 2012 at 4:02 pmDr. Gary LaFleur, associate professor in Biological Sciences, was just awarded the 2012 Nicholls State University Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence. This award is the highest honor a teacher at Nicholls State Univeristy can rec...
- November 7, 2012 at 4:02 pmThis semester marks the 10th anniversary of the MMEB Program. Although many of our graduates have remained in the Nicholls region, several are now spread throughout the United States. Please follow this link to learn more about our ...
- November 7, 2012 at 4:02 pmThree of our undergraduate students have recently been awarded research grants by Louisiana Sea Grant through their Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP). The students and their grant titles are: Shiena Normand: Compa...
- November 7, 2012 at 4:01 pmSeveral of our undergraduate and graduate students present their research findings at professional conferences at the state, region, and national level. Many of our students have recently placed in student competitions: Aimee Hafkesbri...