Go To ↓ Navigation & Information Other Information


Resident / Nonresident Classification Waiver of Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition
Admission Requirements by Classification New Student Orientation


The Office of Admissions is responsible for conducting the university’s student recruitment and admission program. Applications for admission can be obtained from this office or via the Internet at www.nicholls.edu.

Admission requirements for graduate programs appear in the section on GRADUATE STUDIES in this Catalog.

No student shall be denied admission to the university because of race, color, age, sex, creed, disability, or national origin.

Falsification of academic records, academic forgery, altering official academic documents, misusing university documents, or withholding information relating to admission, transfer credits, academic status or records may be cause for a student’s dismissal.

A non refundable application fee of $20 for United States citizens and $30 for others will be assessed each person applying for admission or readmission to Nicholls. The check accompanying the application should be made payable to Nicholls State University.

American College Testing Program

The ACT is administered at Nicholls and other designated testing centers five times yearly. Applicants may pick up a registration packet in the Testing Center or Admissions Office or may write to ACT Registration Unit, P.O. Box 414, Iowa City, IA 52243. Students may also register or request ACT scores via the Internet at www.act.org. The university does not accept test applications nor can it forward applications to the ACT Registration Unit. The Scholastic Aptitude Test [SAT] is acceptable. An ACT/SAT Concordance will be used to determine equivalent scores. Specific questions about individual scores should be directed to an academic advisor or the Testing Center.

Immunization Requirement

Louisiana Law (R.S. 17:170.1/Schools of Higher Learning) requires all students entering Nicholls State University to be immunized for the following: Measles (2 Doses), Mumps, Rubella—required for those born on or after January 1, 1957; Tetanus-Diphtheria (within the past 10 years); and against Meningococcal disease (Meningitis). The following guidelines are for the purpose of implementing the requirements of Louisiana R.S. 17:170.1, and of meeting the established recommendations for control of vaccine-preventable diseases as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP); the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices to the United States Public Health Service (ACIP); and the American College Health Association (ACHA). Students not meeting the MMR & TD requirement will be prevented from registering for subsequent semesters. Student’s registration will not be complete until they have complied with the meningococcal vaccination requirement.

TWO (2) doses of measles vaccine;
At least one (1) dose each of rubella and mumps vaccine;  
A tetanus-diphtheria booster (AT LEAST 10 YEARS CURRENT);
One (1) dose of Menomune ® (MPSV4) or Menactraâ„ ¢ (MCV4) preferably at entrance into college.
Measles requirement: Two (2) doses of live vaccine given at any age, except that the vaccine must have been given on or after the first birthday, in 1968 or later, and without Immune Globulin. A second dose of measles vaccine must meet this same requirement, but should not have been given within 30 days of the first dose. A history of physician-diagnosed measles is acceptable for establishing immunity, but should be accepted with caution unless you were the diagnosing physician.
Tetanus-Diphtheria requirement: A booster dose of vaccine given within the past ten (10) years. Students can be considered to have completed a primary series earlier in life, unless they state otherwise.
Meningitis Requirement: One (1) dose of Menomune ® (MPSV4) or Menactraâ„ ¢ (MCV4) preferably at entrance into college.
Exemption Requirement: If a student requests exemption for medical or personal reasons, the Exemption Request must be obtained from the University Health Services office and signed. An exempted student may be excluded from campus and from classes in the event of an outbreak of measles, mumps, rubella, or meningitis until the outbreak is over or until the student submits proof of immunization.
All students must have on file in the University Health Services Office, a completed Proof of Immunization Form. Blank forms are available in Health Services or on the Internet at www.nicholls.edu/health. The form should be completed and signed by a physician or parish/county health unit.

Auditing Courses

A student who does not want to earn university credit may enroll for no credit as an auditor. The student must complete an application form for admission or readmission which may be obtained in the Office of Admissions or on the Internet at www.nicholls.edu. All credentials required for admission must be submitted. No student under suspension from any institution of higher education, for academic deficiencies, or for disciplinary reasons will be permitted to enroll in the university.

Students who audit courses will not receive credit nor will they be permitted to take a credit examination later for audited work.

Anyone who wishes to change registration from an audit to a credit basis must make the change by the last date for registration in the semester or session in question. (See university calendar.) Fees for students who audit courses are the same as for those enrolled for credit.

[Back] [Top]


Because resident classification is an important part of fee determination, admission regulations and other policies of the System institutions, it is important that System institutions have fair and equitable regulations which can be administered consistently and still respect the interests of both the students and the taxpayers of Louisiana. It is the responsibility of the student to provide System institutions with such evidence as deemed necessary to establish his residence status.

Definition of Residency
Pursuant to House Concurrent Resolution No. 226 of 1986, the following definition of residency shall apply for fee assessment purposes effective the fall semester, 1987:

A resident student for tuition purposes is defined as one who has abandoned all prior domiciles and has been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. “Domicile,” as the term is used in the context of residence regulations, is defined as an individual’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation at which the individual remains when not called elsewhere for labor, studies, or other special or temporary purposes, and the place to which the individual returns after an absence. A nonresident student for tuition purposes is a student not eligible for classification as a resident.

The individual’s physical presence within this state for one year must be associated with the substantial evidence that such presence was with the intent to maintain a Louisiana domicile. Physical presence within the state solely for education purposes without substantial evidence of the intent to remain in Louisiana will not be sufficient for resident classification regardless of the length of time within the state.

However, discreet categories of individuals may be defined as special residents if such action is deemed to be in the best interest of Louisiana and approved by the Board, or as mandated from time to time by federal or state government.

Determination of Status
The residence status shall be determined in accordance with Board rules and shall be based upon evidence provided in the application for admission and related documents. The office of the registrar and/or admissions officer shall determine residence status after the completed application for admission has been submitted. The rules shall be based primarily on the location of the home and the place of employment.     Residence status may not be acquired by an applicant or student while residing in Louisiana for the primary purpose of attending school.   Residence status, for fee purposes only, will be granted to non-resident graduate students registered for three semester hours or less and undergraduate students registered for six semester hours or less in any session, or all non-resident students enrolled in up to six semester hours of graduate or undergraduate courses offered through web-based or other electronic instruction, when domiciled outside of the state of Louisiana and not enrolled in any other courses at the university. The following conditions may be used in determining residence status:

A. An applicant living with his/her parents is classified as a resident if the parents have established a bona fide residence in Louisiana. Ordinarily a parent is considered to have established a residence in Louisiana if actually residing and employed full time in the State. A parent who is unable to be employed or who is a housewife may be considered to have established a residence in Louisiana if there is convincing evidence that the person continuously resides in Louisiana. If only one parent qualifies as a resident of Louisiana, the student shall be classified as a resident provided that student resides with the parent who is a resident of Louisiana. An individual who resides in Louisiana and is employed full-time in another state, may be classified as a resident. In such case, appropriate documentary evidence shall be presented.

B. A student residing with his/her parents who enrolls as a nonresident shall be classified as a resident if the parents move to Louisiana and acquire residence as defined in these regulations.

C. A student may be declared a resident if either parent is a graduate of the institution that he/she attends. A student that graduates with an associate or higher degree may be classified as a resident for subsequent enrollment at that same institution (applicable only to U.S. citizens). (Revision approved 3/26/99)

D. A person may be classified as a resident of Louisiana at the end of twelve consecutive months of residence if employed in Louisiana and if during that period he/she has not been registered in an educational institution for more than six semester hours or its equivalent in any semester. A person who is unable to be employed and who has not been registered in any educational institution for more than six semester hours or its equivalent in any semester may acquire residence in Louisiana if there is convincing evidence of continuous residence in Louisiana for twelve consecutive months immediately preceding registration.

E. A student who is married to a Louisiana resident may acquire the residence status of his/her spouse.

F. A person who resides in Louisiana for at least two years, exclusive of military service, and then moves to another state or foreign country shall retain the right to enroll, along with any of his/her dependents as a resident for a period equal to the number of years the person resided in Louisiana, but the right shall expire upon the person’s residing for a period of two years in another state or foreign country. For students affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita, requests for waivers may be considered on a case by case basis until Fall, 2012.

G. Members of the full-time armed forces (not reserve or guard) currently stationed in Louisiana and their dependents shall be classified as Louisiana residents. Those who were stationed in Louisiana immediately prior to release from active duty may enroll themselves or their dependents as residents during a period not to exceed six months after the date of release provided that the term of active duty shall have been no less than 12 consecutive months.

H. A member of the full-time armed forces who was a resident of Louisiana immediately prior to entering the armed forces shall retain the right, along with any of his/her dependents to be classified as a resident as long as he/she is in the armed forces and for a two-year period after leaving the armed forces.

I. A resident of Louisiana shall not lose the right to be classified as a resident during periods of employment in a foreign country. An alien who has been lawfully admitted J. to the United States for permanent residence as an immigrant (proof of such status shall be possession of his Form I-151-Alien Registration Receipt Card or passport officially stamped “approved as resident alien”) and who has established residence under any of the foregoing provisions shall be declared a resident of the State.

Non-U.S. Resident

A student who is a non-U.S. citizen may be entitled to resident classification if the student has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (refugee, person who is married to a U.S. citizen, “temporary” or amnesty alien, etc.). This granting of resident status for fee purposes shall be in accordance with all applicable laws of the U.S. and relative requirements of the System’s Student Residence Regulations.

 Students and their dependants (INS approval) present in the United States under terms of any one the following visa classifications:

Visa Category E – Treaty trader or investor

  • G – Representative of international organization
  • H-1B – Temporary worker in a specialty occupation
  • (H-1A and H-4 may also apply to qualify for exemption.)
  • I – Foreign information media representative
  • K – Fiancà ©e (Residency approved with proof of marriage to U.S. citizen.).
  • L – Intra-company transferee/foreign employer who demonstrate a Louisiana domicile for at least one full year (and meet System regulations) prior to the first day of class of the beginning of the semester will be eligible for an exemption of the non-resident fees while holding such a visa.

Visa Category A – Government officials will be immediately eligible for an exemption of the non-resident fees while holding such a visa.

Visa Category B – Visitor for business/pleasure

  • C – In transit
  • D  – Crewman
  • F – Academic student
  • H – Temporary worker
  • J – Exchange visitor
  • M – Vocational/ non- academic student are not eligible to establish Louisiana domicile nor be exempted from nonresident fees unless otherwise permitted by law, by System policy, or other regulations.

 It is to be noted that the domicile of a dependent or an unmarried minor is regarded to be that of the parent with whom such a dependent or minor maintains his/her place of abode.

Appeal Committee
The president of each institution shall be authorized to appoint a Residence Rules Appeal Committee. Any student classified as a nonresident may appeal his classification to this committee. Interpretations on residence qualifications may be submitted to Board Staff for clarification.

Incorrect Classification
All students classified incorrectly as residents are subject to reclassification and payment of all non-resident fees not paid. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts by the student, the student is also subject to university discipline.

[Back] [Top]

Waiver of Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition

The Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System has authorized exemptions of out of state tuition for certain non residents of high ability. For more information about such waivers, contact the Office of Admissions.

[Back] [Top]


First-Time Freshmen

First-time freshman, under 25 years of age, must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for admission to Nicholls State University:

1.  Meet the Board of Regents Core (TOPS Core)
2.  Require no more than ONE developmental
3.  Have a minimum 2.00/4.00 grade point average
4.  Meet at least one of the following:
               Have at least a 20 composite ACT, or
                Rank in the top half of their graduation class

Nicholls State University may admit students who do not meet all stated admissions requirements in accordance with the Board of Regents Master Plan. Admissions decisions will be made considering each applicant’s potential for success and will include factors such as ACT score, special talents, and the university’s commitment to a demographically diverse student population.

Students that are not admitted are encouraged to attend one of the Louisiana community/technical colleges. Transfer students may be admitted to Nicholls State University that do not meet the above criteria once they have at least 12 hours of non-developmental courses with at least a 2.00 GPA and require no more than one developmental.

Out-of-State, Home-Schooled Students, GED Recipients

Freshman students, under the age of 25, who graduate from out-of-state schools, are home-schooled, must meet one of the following minimum admissions criteria. Those freshman students who do not may be admitted under the admissions exceptions category.

Criterion #1

  • Current minimum criteria for Louisiana residents as outlined above.

Criterion #2

  • Have at least a 20 composite ACT, AND
  • Have an overall 2.00/4.00 grade point average, AND
  • Require not more than ONE Developmental

Criterion #3

  • Have at least a 23 composite ACT, AND
  • Require no more than ONE Developmental+

GED Students

Students who receive their GED must submit ACT scores with a minimum 23 Composite score in order to be admitted, as well as a copy of their GED certificate.

High School Students

Early Admissions Program
High school students who have completed six semesters of high school and wish to complete their senior year requirements by attending Nicholls may do so if they have a B average (3.0) or better, have an ACT composite score of 25 or higher, and are recommended by their high school principal.

Upon earning 24 semester hours of university credit in courses numbered 100 or higher, the student may be granted a high school diploma by the appropriate school board upon presentation of a copy of his or her Nicholls transcript and a recommendation form provided by the Office of Records and Registration at Nicholls.

Students accepted into this program may choose the disciplines of their interest and will have a faculty adviser. The students will be enrolled in their respective college and subject to the rules, regulations, policies, fees, and expenses applicable to all university students. Campus housing with food service is available to early admission students.

Credit attempted or earned while in this program is entered on the student’s permanent academic record at Nicholls. Credit earned in this program is transferable to another college or university, depending upon the policies of the institution in question.

Concurrent Enrollment
High school seniors can begin their university studies for a reduced price in the Nicholls State University. To earn college credits while still in high school, students need to be on track to complete the TOPS core curriculum and have either a 2.0 cumulative grade point average, or a 20 composite score on the ACT test. Students must also meet prerequisites for the course or courses in which they wish to enroll. Courses can be taken in any format, including on campus, off campus, and online, during the fall or spring semesters. A reduced fee structure is available for students participating in this program. Laboratory and vehicle decal fees still apply.

Early Start Program
High school seniors can begin their university studies through the Early Start Program.   Participation in this program is governed by the Board of Regents  Early Start  Program.   For complete details, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Former Students

Former students not enrolled at Nicholls in the preceding semester must submit an application for readmission. If a student has enrolled in any institution of higher learning, including a summer session, after attending Nicholls, the student must have a complete and official transcript from each college or university attended, whether or not credit was earned, sent to the Office of Admissions by the registrar of the institutions previously attended. Nicholls students who attend only the summer session at another institution must furnish an official transcript to the Office of Admissions prior to the next registration period.

Transfer Students

Students (in-state and out-of-state) desiring to transfer to Nicholls State University must meet the following minimum admissions criteria:

  • 12 minimum college level hours earned
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0 on college level courses
  • Require not more than ONE developmental

Additional Criteria
Students must be eligible to return to the institution from which they are transferring. Students desiring to transfer with the minimum GPA on college level courses, but less than the minimum college level hours earned, must also meet the freshmen admissions criteria in order to be admitted as transfer students.

Nicholls State University may admit students who do not meet all stated admissions requirements in accordance with the Board of Regents Master Plan. Nicholls State University may set aside a limited number of exceptions of the entering transfer class. Admissions decisions will be made considering each applicant’s potential for success and will include factors such as special talents and the university’s commitment to a demographically diverse student population.

Acceptance of transfer credit is limited to academic credit earned at regionally accredited institutions in the United States or through the appropriate accrediting agency for institutions of higher education abroad. Until further notice, when a student transfers from South Louisiana Community College or Louisiana Delta Community College the university will examine course equivalency, faculty credentials, and other appropriate indicators of competencies to determine if these courses can be accepted for transfer credit. The university reserves the right to deny credit where such indicators are not present, or to require the student to prove competency by some other means.

General education course credit earned beginning Fall 2003 at L.E. Fletcher Technical Community College will be subject to the same examination and verification used to award transfer credit from previously mentioned community college.

An applicant for admission who has been enrolled in other institutions of higher learning must have a complete and official transcript from each college or university attended, whether or not credit was earned, sent to the Office of Admissions by the registrar of the institutions previously attended.

Any student entering the university from a community or junior college or a junior division is limited in the amount of transfer credit which may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree program, and the approval of the academic dean is required.

“Pursuant to Act 383 of the 2003 Regular Session, each campus shall state, in its catalog and materials disseminated to students or prospective students as part of recruitment, admissions, orientation, and registration procedures, the existence of the Statewide Student Transfer Guide and Articulation System Matrices (Board of Regents’ E-matrix). These matrices indicate transfer equivalences of courses among Louisiana’s public colleges and universities and may be accessed through the Board of Regents’ webpage at www.regents.state.la.us.

Students should also be informed that the listing of courses on the matrices is not all-inclusive. There are courses that articulate between campuses that are not listed on the matrices. Students should be advised to contact the institution’s Transfer Student Contact listed on the Website if they are unclear as to whether academic credit in general or credit toward meeting degree program requirements at other institutions is transferable.”

International Students

International students applying for admission to Nicholls must have completed a U.S. equivalent secondary school program, must be proficient in written and spoken English,  must have adequate financial resources, must submit either ACT or SAT offical test scores. The application, complete with official  academic records, and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS  scores should be in the Office of Admissions at least 60 days before the beginning of the semester in which admission is desired.

International students transferring to Nicholls from institutions abroad or from U.S. institutions must meet all requirements for transfer admission cited above, supply evidence of adequate financial resources and, if transferring from a U.S. school, must have SEVIS record transferred by current school.

All of the required forms for international admissions are  available on the Internet at www.nicholls.edu. Proof of adequate financial resources to pay university fees and all other expenses incurred while living in the United States must be officially certified by a financial institution. All documents for admission must be official copies translated into English, if necessary,  before a student can be considered for admission to the university.

An applicant for admission whose native language is not English must make a minimum TOEFL score of 500 (paper-based), 173 (computer-based), or 61 (internet-based); or a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall.    For admission to graduate studies in Business or Mathematics, the minimum TOEFL score is 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based); or minimum IELTS score 6.5 overall.  

Nicholls will not accept an international student who entered the United States on an I-20 form issued by another institution in the United States until that person has been enrolled at the institution issuing the I-20 or whose SEVIS record has been  approved for transfer.

Visitor Status

Visitor status exists for students who enroll without formal credentials and who are not seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree. Credit earned under this registration may not automatically be used toward any graduate degree. Graduate students should refer to the GRADUATE STUDIES section in this Bulletin. While enrolled under visitor status, a student may earn credit for college-level courses and an official transcript of these credits will be available upon written request. Whether any credit earned under visitor status can apply toward an undergraduate degree will be determined after the student files a degree-seeking application, submits formal credentials, and meets all requirements for regular admission.

Senior Citizens Program

Eligibility requirements for application under the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System Senior Citizens Program are a high school diploma or the equivalent and participants must be 60 years of age or older. Only the completed application form with fee and proof of age are required to be submitted. Senior citizens are exempt from registration fees and tuition fees for up to three hours but must pay the technology fee and course specific fees (e.g. laboratory fees). Normal tuition and fee charges will be required of those enrolling for more than three credit hours.

Veterans and Veterans’ Dependents

Those eligible for educational assistance as veterans, veterans’ dependents or reservists should apply for the educational benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs on-line at www.gibill.va.gov, by completing the application in the Office of Records and Registration located in the Otto B. Candies Hall, or at any parish’s Department of Veterans Affairs Offices. Applications for veterans and reservists can be mailed to the Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, PO Box 8888, Muskogee OK 74402-8888 and veterans’ dependents applications can be mailed to the VA Regional Office, 671 Whitney Ave, Gretna LA 70053. Certificates of eligibility should be presented to the University Veterans’ Liaison Counselor in the Records and Registration Office.

Those applying for VA educational benefits who want to be certified must complete a Student Request Form for VA Benefits in the Office of Records and Registration or on-line at www.nicholls.edu/records/forms/va_form.pdf. For additional information contact the University Veterans’ Liaison Counselor in the Records and Registration Office. After the request is completed, the certification of enrollment is mailed or electronically transmitted to the VA office.

For additional information regarding VA educational benefits, call a counselor in the regional office in New Orleans at 1-800-827-1000 or the regional office in Muskogee at 1-888-442-4551.

[Back] [Top]


Orientation programs for new students are conducted prior to each semester, including the summer session. The orientation program is designed to acquaint each new student with the university campus, academic programs, and support services. New students receive academic advising and complete registration for classes during orientation.

To attend an orientation program the new student must have been admitted to Nicholls State University, prior to the day of the program.   All first-time freshmen and transfer freshmen working toward a degree are expected to attend a New Student Orientation session. Students will receive information about their specific orientation program after filing an application for admission. Each student is charged a non refundable $100 fee for orientation.

[Back] [Top]

Go To ↑ Top