Go To ↓ Navigation & Information Other Information

FAQs About the Profession

Q: What is a speech-language pathologist, and what does the job of a speech-language pathologist entail?
A: A speech-language pathologist works directly with individuals to facilitate recovery of clients with communication disorders. Types of communication disorders include fluency disorders (stuttering), voice disorders, articulation disorders, language disorders and motor speech disorders.  A speech-language pathologist can work with a variety of populations from adults, who have had a brain injury or stroke and have lost their ability to speak, to children, who have not acquired the ability to speak or substitute one sound for another.  Speech-language pathologists who have obtained a masters degree in the field can also work with clients who have swallowing disorders. Learn more by visiting the ASHA Careers Web pages.

Q: What is an audiologist, and what does the job of an audiologist entail?
An audiologist works with individuals with hearing impairments and evaluates clients for nature and degree of a hearing loss.  Audiologists can work in many different settings involving hearing conservation, amplification of residual hearing, fitting of ear molds and hearing aids, and evaluation and screening of populations including newborn infants to geriatrics. Learn more by visiting the ASHA Careers Web pages.

Q: What kinds of clients do speech-language pathologists and audiologists serve?
Speech pathologists and audiologists work with clients from ages of birth to geriatrics with communicative disorders and/or hearing impairments.

Q: Do I need a masters degree to get a job in this field?
No, you can be employed as a speech-language pathology assistant with a four-year bachelors degree, yet this is a supervised position.   A masters degree in the field of speech pathology allows for national certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the ability to obtain an unsupervised position, more job opportunities and increased salaries.

Q: What kind of job will I be able to get upon graduating from Nicholls in this field?
A bachelors degree in communicative disorders from Nicholls provides students with clock hours to apply for Louisiana licensure as a speech-language pathology assistant.   A speech-language pathology assistant (SLP-A) is an individual who successfully completes a four-year program in communicative disorders and who has obtained 100 hours of direct clinic contact.   An SLP-A must be supervised by a licensed speech pathologist who has obtained a master degree in communicative disorders.

Q: Are jobs readily available in this field?
Jobs in the field of communicative disorders are readily available and work settings range from schools, home health, hospitals, nursing homes, daycares, universities, long-term acute care facilities, out-patient rehabilitation centers and private practices.

Go To ↑ Top