Go To ↓ Navigation & Information Other Information

FAQs About the Nicholls Program

Q: What types of classes will I take?
In addition to basic classes in English, math, science and social science areas students, will take speech-language pathology related courses such as the following: language development, language disorders, articulation/phonology disorders, fluency disorders and voice disorders. Students also take other classes that emphasize the following: physics of sound; psychoacoustics; anatomy and physiology of the auditory system; audiometric procedures; principles and techniques of speech audiometry; special audiometric testing, impedance measurements, masking and interpretation of test results; aural rehabilitation; and sign language.

Q: What are clinicals or clinical practicum? Is clinical work integrated into the curriculum?
Clinicals are practicum courses that begin upon completion of specific communicative disorders prerequisite coursework. Clinical practicum courses allow students to work individually with clients with communicative disorders both at the Jo Carol Nolen Center on campus and affiliate off-sites including elementary schools and early intervention centers. Clinical practicum courses provide students with hands-on training in the profession, while under supervision of certified speech-language pathologists and audiologists. All faculty members hold the Certificate of Clinical Competence provided by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Communicative disorders students usually begin taking clinical practicum courses at the beginning of their junior year; however, a student must abide by requirements of the university catalog in order to enter clinical practicum. There are three hands-on clinical practicum courses that students take and one hands-on audiology practicum course. Students take these clinical courses while also taking other communicative disorders content area courses.

Q: Why should I choose the Nicholls communicative disorders program?
First, academic classes are small, allowing for individual student attention from instructors and clinical supervisors. Second, the clinical experience at the undergraduate level is a definite plus. Clinical practicum courses allow students to practice what they learned in the classroom. Because clinical students take both speech-language pathology practicum courses and an audiology practicum course, students can use their experiences to decide on which area to pursue in graduate training. Third, upon completing the bachelors degree, Nicholls graduates who have the appropriate number of clinical hours are eligible to apply for Louisiana licensure as a provisional speech-language pathology assistant and can work under the supervision of a fully certified speech-language pathologist in Louisiana. A speech-language pathology assistant can work under supervision in various job settings including school systems, governmental agencies and for private practitioners.

Q: Do I have access to my instructors and clinical supervisors for help outside of class?
Yes, faculty post office hours weekly and appointments can be made. Your academic class instructors also serve as clinic supervisors.

Q: Who do I contact if I am interested in the communicative disorders program? Can I take a tour of the facility and meet faculty and students in the program?
Yes, contact Donna Fitzgerald- Dejean, program director, or Lori Boudreaux, administrative assistant.

Go To ↑ Top