The Jo Carol Nolen Speech, Language and Hearing Center is the “heart” of the communicative disorders program at Nicholls. Under the supervision of their clinical supervisors, students serve clients with speech, language and hearing disorders. Clinical experiences include assessment and treatment of individuals ranging in age from infants to the elderly. The Jo Carol Nolen Speech, Language and Hearing Center offers on-site services at no cost to the public.
The Jo Carol Nolen Speech, Language and Hearing Center is located in Talbot Hall. The center provides students who are majoring in the communicative disorders program with a place to perform testing and intervention with clients, collaborate with other students, utilize computer facilities, study and store materials. The center accommodates the needs of both the students and the clients they serve. The Jo Carol Nolen Speech, Language and Hearing Center includes:
- a waiting room for clients;
- an audiometric testing suite, which contains a soundproof booth and state-of-the-art audiometric testing equipment;
- therapy rooms;
- a closed circuit television monitoring and video recording room for observation of students and their clients by clinical supervisors,
- the Wenter library and study room,
- a student computer laboratory,
- a student clinician workroom and
- a multipurpose room.