Keynote Speaker, Anne Beiler, founder of Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
Louisiana Girls Leadership Academy Closing Ceremonies
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Light the Torch and LEAD
June 14-17, 2015
at Nicholls State University
Sponsored by the Louisiana Center for Women in Government and Business
Why Light the Torch and Lead?
The vision of the Louisiana Girls Leadership Academy (LGLA) is to develop high potential leaders in community and public service through responsible citizenship. Girls entering grades 9 – 11 in their upcoming school year will network with peers and be mentored by experienced women to develop knowledge and skills for future leadership roles. This is an overnight camp that is highly hands on and full of adventures and surprises!
LGLA program focus:
• Situational Leadership
• Public Service and Responsible Citizenship
• Current Issues in Louisiana public policy
LGLA will include an annual Leadership Service Project. The 2015 Academy Leadership Service Project will focus on Energy and the Environment.
Who Can Attend?
Girls entering grades 9 – 11 in the 2015-2016 school year. LGLA participants will be selected by a committee of the LCWG Leadership Councils.
Acceptance is a selective process. Application fee is $75. This fee will be refunded if the applicant is not chosen to attend LGLA.
If the applicant is chosen to attend LGLA, there is no additional fee to attend. We hoping that this is an incentive for young women to apply.
Acceptance to LGLA is a selective process.The following criteria will be considered:
1) participation in service and leadership organizations in school, community or church;
2) offices held in organizations;
3) honors and awards received;
4) school GPA (minimum 2.6);
5) one letter of recommendation; and
6) a student essay on “Why I should be a leader selected for LGLA” (150 words).
1) One letter of recommendation from nominator (teacher, staff, community leader, etc.)
2) Resumé with a complete list of extra-curricular activities from August 2013- present and school GPA
3) Student essay (complete online)
4) Application fee $75 (payable to Nicholls State University)
4) Application form
If you have already sent in your paper application, you can send your essay by email directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Continuing Education
Location: at the corner of Ardoyne Drive and Madewood Drive
Phone: (985) 448-4444