2014 Dates to be Posted Soon
The objectives of this program are:
- to promote training which will upgrade the skills of participants making them better employees;
- to provide background knowledge so that participants will be better prepared to assume positions of responsibility and leadership; and,
- to develop in participants an appreciation for the total operation of the plant.
Textbook and references
The textbook for the Institute will be Cane Sugar Handbook, 12th. ed. by Chen and Chou. References will be selected by instructors for their respective topics and will be reproduced, bound into a handbook and provided to each participant.
Classes will be lecture and discussion. Instructors will be encouraged to conduct an informal class in order to encourage questions and discussions by participants. A-V equipment will also be utilized when appropriate. After successful completion of course, students are awarded a Sugar Institute certificate of completion. Upon request, a certificate for applicable Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be issued at the close of each Institute.
The total fees for the short course are $2,475 per participant. This includes room, board and all workshop materials. Fees for commuters are $2,175. Housing is provided in the University residence hall and is included in the fees. Local motels are available for those who do not wish to stay in the residence hall. Commuter fees would then be applicable. Please make checks payable to: Nicholls State University. There is a $25 additional fee for all payments made by wire transfer. Participants name and company must be listed on all wire transfers.
- Payment must be made in U.S. dollars on a U.S. bank with a U.S. address. Payment must be received one week before the Institute begins.
- In the event of a housing status change, refunds will not be issued.
- Wire transfers are no longer accepted.
- Any cancellation must be received before close of business on the Friday before the start of the Institute in order to receive a full refund.
- Overview of the Sugar Industry
- Cane as the Raw Material Varieties, Sampling and Payment Scale
- Preparation and Milling Storage, Washing, Chopping, Crushing/Diffusion, Maceration Water, Sanitation
- Clarification and Filtration Purification, Apparatus, Reagents, Reaction, Heating
- Evaporation and Crystallization Evaporation, Boiling Systems, Pans and Designs, Molasses Exhaustion
- Centrifugals Principles, Efficiency, Maintenance
- Energy Economy Steam Balances, Energy Balance, Electrical Utilization, Boiler Efficiencies, Bagasse as a Source of Fuel
- Basic Instrumentation/Operational Computers Juice Scales, Flow Meters, Control Valves, Operational Control
- Chemical Control Chief Chemists, Laboratory, Factory Control
- Raw Sugar/Molasses/Value Added Products Handling, Storage and Marketing
- Government Programs/Regulations Farm Bill, E.P.A., O.S.H.A., Quotas
- Problem Solving, Resumé, Evaluation
Nicholls State University assures equal opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, marital status, veterans status in the admission to, participation in or employment in any of the programs and activities operated by the University. Inquiries concerning equal opportunity should contact the University Compliance Officer in Room 122 Picciola Hall, Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, Louisiana 70310, (985) 448-4012. Persons who feel that they have been discriminated against concerning applicable Federal law, may make an inquiry or file a complaint with: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 500 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130; U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Office for Civil Rights, 1200 Main Tower Building, Dallas, TX 75202.
Dr. Robert Falgout
Nicholls State University
Simone Harris – Nicholls State University
Greg Nolan – Lafourche Sugars
Dr. Ben Legendre – Audubon Sugar Institute and LSU Cooperative Extension Service
Sam Zenthoefer- John Deere Industries, Thibodaux
Dan Duplantis – Raceland Raw Sugars
USDA Sugarcane Field Lab
John Deere Industries, Thibodaux
Enterprise Sugar Factory