Light the Torch and LEAD
June 9-12 2013
at Nicholls State University
Sponsored by the Louisiana Center for Women and Government
Why Light the Torch and Lead?
The vision of the Louisiana Girls Leadership Academy (LGLA) is to develop high potential leaders in community and public service through responsible citizenship. Girls will network with peers and be mentored by experienced women to develop knowledge and skills for future leadership roles. LGLA program focus:
• Situational Leadership
• Public Service and Responsible Citizenship
• Current Issues in Louisiana public policy
LGLA will include an annual Leadership Service Project. The 2013 Academy Leadership Service Project will focus on Energy and the Environment.
Who Can Attend?
Girls entering grades 9 – 11 in the 2013-2014 school year. LGLA participants will be selected by a committee of the LCWG Leadership Councils.
Acceptance is a selective process. Application fee is $75. This fee will be refunded if the applicant is not chosen to attend LGLA.
Registration postmark deadline is April 15, 2013. – EXTENDED DEADLINE
If the applicant is chosen to attend LGLA, there is no additional fee to attend. We hoping that this is an incentive for young women to apply.
Acceptance to LGLA is a selective process.The following criteria will be considered:
1) participation in service and leadership organizations in school, community or church;
2) offices held in organizations;
3) honors and awards received;
4) school GPA (minimum 2.6);
5) one letter of recommendation; and
6) a student esaay on “Why I should be a leader selected for LGLA” (150 words).
1) One letter of recommendation from nominator (teacher, staff, community leader, etc.)
2) Resumé with a complete list of extra-curricular activities from August 2011- present and school GPA
3) Student essay (complete online)
4) Application fee $75 (payable to Nicholls State University)
4) Application form
*If you have already sent in your paper application, you can send your Essay by email directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Continuing Education
Location: at the corner of Ardoyne Drive and Madewood Drive
Phone: (985) 448-4444