Friendships are an important part of life, but many of us find it difficult to find, make or keep friends. This article offers practical suggestions that may help you to expand your social circle or reinforce the relationships you already have.
- Introduce yourself to people in your dorm or class.
- Be friendly, approachable and outgoing.
- Remain open to new cultures.
- Consider joining groups that share your common interest.
- Explore the Greek organizations.
- Participate in study groups.
- Attend sports events, parties, and special gatherings.
- Invite people to join you for lunch or dinner.
- Reach out to others when they need help.
- Don’t gossip. Potential friends will not trust you if you constantly gossip to them about other people.
- When talking to someone new, ask questions about themselves or their interests.
- Don’t compromise yourself for the sake of fitting in with a group.
*Social skills can be learned so seek professional help if you feel you need it.