The decision to about whether or not to be sexually active is an important one. In order to make the decision that is the healthiest and most appropriate for you, consider the following factors:
- Your MOTIVES. Why are you choosing to be sexually active?
- Your PERSONAL VALUES. What is important to you in your life?
- The CONSEQUENCES of your decision. What are all possible outcomes -positive and negative ones?
- The FACTS about sexuality, the reproductive system, birth control, STD’s. hat do you need to know? Where can you get accurate information?
- Whether or not you choose to be sexually active practice the following:
- Maintain HEALTHY ATTITUDES toward yourself, others, and sexuality.
- Practice effective COMMUNICATION such as “I” statements, listening, clarifying, etc.
- Accept RESPONSIBILITY for your choices and actions.
- RESPECT yourself and your partner.
- Be INFORMED with accurate information from appropriate sources.
If you have questions, concerns, or would like to further explore issues related to sexuality and making healthy decisions please contact University Counseling Center @ 448-4080 or University Health Services @ 493-2600.