NICHOLLS GOES GREEN – Reusable Cups and Plates Program
Nicholls Dining Services, operated by Sodexo Campus Services, is committed to supporting an aggressive sustainability program on our campus. We would like your support and ideas of how to make sustainability a constant goal and accomplishment. It will take the campus community, working together, to make Nicholls State University a “green” campus dedicated to protecting and preserving our environment in South Louisiana and beyond.
Reusable To-Go Containers:
“Nicholls Goes Green” Cups: All housing students with a meal plan will be issued an 18 oz. reusable cup at the beginning of the fall semester. We suggest you put your first name and last initial and your housing facility or abbreviation so that if lost or forgotten, someone can track you down to return it to you. Put your red harbinger clip on the bottle cap so that you can hook your cup to your book bag or purse.
How Does It Work?
Easy. Just take your reusable cup to the cafeteria when you dine and get a drink to go or take your cup to any of the retail food outlets serving fountain drinks and get a re-fill for a discounted rate. Things to remember:
- You are responsible for cleaning your cup. Please wash with hot, soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Let dry.
- If you lose your cup, you may get another one, from the cafeteria cashier, but you will have to pay $3.00. You may pay with cash or use your Munch Money and/or Colonel Cash.
- If you do not wish to participate in this program, please return your reusable cup to the cafeteria.
“Nicholls Goes Green” Plates: All housing students with a meal plan will be issued a clear green, clamshell-like reusable plate to use when wanting a meal to go from the cafeteria. Do not write or mark your plate.
How Does It Work?
Easy, too. You will take your green plate to the cafeteria and give it to the cashier. The cashier will give you a sanitized plate which you will go fill and close the lid before leaving the cafeteria. After you have eaten the meal, please wash, rinse and dry your plate. When you wish for another to-go meal, take your plate to the cashier who will give you another sanitized plate to use. You can see the recycling process here. Some things to remember are:
- You are responsible for returning the plate in good condition and cleaned.
- If you damage or lose your reusable green plate, you will be charged $2.00 for a new one. You can get the new one at the cafeteria cashier station. You may pay for a new plate using cash, Munch Money or Colonel Cash.
- If you not wish to participate in this program, please return your reusable plate to the cafeteria.
Why is this program important?
- It reduces the amount of non-biodegradable Styrofoam that fills our garbage containers on campus and in our waste facilities.
- It reduces the amount of to-go meal products purchased, resulting in money saved and better utilized in our dining department.
- It should make everyone who participates proud that our University is committed to a Sustainability Program and that each of us is creating a “greener” Earth.