Undergraduate seniors may be allowed to take graduate courses, if certain criteria are met. After getting proper approvals on the Petition for Pursuing Graduate Work as an Undergraduate Senior, the student will be allowed to register for graduate courses. The petition must be filed prior to registration and approved by the dean of the college in which the graduate coursework is housed and the Director of University Graduate Studies. A course may not be used toward both graduate and undergraduate degree. The student retains an undergraduate status.
The student must meet all of the following criteria:
- have at least a 3.20 cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) on all undergraduate work pursued,
- lack no more then 30 semester hours to complete baccalaureate degree requirements.
If permission is granted the following applies:
- student may not earn no more than 12 graduate credit hours while completing baccalaureate requirements,
- student may not carry more than 15 semester hours (both undergraduate and graduate) during a regular semester or ten semester hours during a summer session. This shall include all baccalaureate requirements and no more than six semester hours of graduate credit for a semester or four for a summer session.
- courses taken for graduate credit CANNOT be used to satisfy undergraduate requirements,
- undergraduate status is retained until the baccalaureate degree is earned,
- student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on all graduate courses and must maintain a minimum of 3.2 cumulative undergraduate GPA. If either of these grade conditions are not met, the student will not be allowed to petition for enrollment in other graduate courses while pursuing their baccalaureate degree.
- taking graduate courses as an undergraduate does not imply or guarantee that the student will be accepted into a specific graduate program at Nicholls State University. After receiving a baccalaureate degree, a student must apply for graduate school admission and meet all admission requirements as outlined for a specific program and be accepted into a program to apply previously taken graduate courses to the program.
In order to apply the graduate courses toward the Master of Business Administration degree, the student must meet all of the requirements for admission to the program, except for completion of a baccalaureate degree.
Petition for Pursuing Graduate Work as an Undergraduate Senior