If you wish to undertake research to include NSU staff, faculty, and students, you must have the NSU Human Subjects Institutional Review Board (HSIRB) review and approve the research. This is done to protect persons participating in the research as well as to keep the university informed of research taking place at the institution.
Follow the link above if you wish to access the policies and procedures of the HSIRB.
Follow the link above if you wish to know who are the members of the current HSIRB and what college each represents.
Application for Review
- Will take place in accepted educational settings AND involves normal educational practices;
- OR involves using only questionnaire/interview survey methods (including the study of elected or appointed public officials or candidates for public office;
- OR involves using observational techniques;
- OR analyzes existing data available to the public;
- OR some research technique where the anonymity of the subjects will be strictly maintained;
THEN you are entitled to ask for HSIRB exemption.
Please download the Request for HSIRB Exemption Form from the forms web page.
Complete the application form (Request for HSIRB Exemption) and send 2 copies to your college representative.
In all other cases you will need to complete an application for a Board review. Please download the Request for Non-Exempt Review Form from the forms web page and send 10 copies to the Chairperson of the HSIRB.
Informed Consent Forms
There are 2 different Informed Consent Forms depending on the level of complication of the research procedures and whether the researcher has direct contact with the potential participants.
Straightforward Research and Direct Contact: the Short Informed Consent Form AND the Oral Presentation Form.
No Direct Contact: The researcher should complete the regular Informed consent form
All forms are available from the forms web page.