There are two types of OPT:
May be obtained while in school. Student is allowed to work 20 hours per
Week/part time while school is in session. May work full time during school
Breaks and holidays. Using pre-completion OPT deducts time from post-
Is intended for students to use after graduation. You receive up to 12 months of OPT after graduation, pending that no time was used from CPT or pre-completion OPT. Students in a STEM degree may receive a 17 month extension. Please see the ISO for further details.
1. be a full time registered student for a least one full academic year
2. be physically present in the US
3. be maintaining valid F1 status at the time of application
4. Intend to work in a position directly related to the major field of
study – You do not need an offer of employment at the time of
To apply for OPT, please gather the following materials and make an appointment with the ISO for further assistance:
1. Form I-765
2. $380 Filing Fee. Make check or money order payable to Department of Homeland Security
3. Two 2” X 2” passport sized photos with a white background
4. Copy of current I-20, I-94 card, passport pages, and visa page
You may also find the OPT Instruction Guide useful before making your appointment. It will answer many of the questions you may have.
Bring all materials to the ISS Office for your appointment. We will issue a new I-20 to be signed and mailed to the USCIS service center.
*It is important to apply early! USCIS can take up to 90 days to process applications. The best time to apply for OPT is 90 days before your graduation date and no later than 60 days after your completion date on your I-20.