THIBODAUX – Nicholls State University recently rewarded some of its outstanding faculty members during Faculty Institute, the first faculty meeting of the 2007-2008 academic year.
Dr. Glenn Antizzo of Thibodaux, associate professor of government, was awarded the Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence. The award was established in 1994 to recognize those individuals who have been consistently dedicated to the principles of sound, effective teaching. Each year the university president awards a certificate of recognition and the Nicholls Alumni Federation presents a one-time, $1,000 cash award to the recipient.
The Faculty Institute also recognized Carol Blanchard of Thibodaux as the recipient of the Presidential Award for Academic Administrator Excellence. Blanchard is associate dean of University College, an assistant professor and head of the Department of University Studies and director of the Academic Advising Center. The award, which comes with a certificate and a $1,000 salary increase, recognizes outstanding leadership.
Dr. Betty Kleen of Thibodaux, distinguished service professor of information systems and director of graduate studies, was awarded the highest faculty honor – the title of Alcee Fortier professor in recognition of excellence in teaching, research and professional activities. The Alcee Fortier title carries with it an annual stipend of $2,500 and support for research and travel to attend professional meetings.
The following is a list of faculty promotions approved by the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System, with hometowns and academic discipline:
Associate Professor to Professor
- Dr. Laura Badeaux of Thibodaux, petroleum services;
- Dr. Deborah Cibelli of Thibodaux, art;
- Jean Donegan of Thibodaux, art.
Assistant Professor to Associate Professor
- Dr. M. Khurrum Bhutta of Kenner, computer information systems;
- Dr. Carmen Broussard of Napoleonville, psychology;
- Dr. Dennis Durocher of New Orleans, French;
- Dr. Ronnie Fanguy of Thibodaux, computer information systems;
- Dr. Chris Rachal of Thibodaux, psychology;
- Dr. Rene “Chuck” Viosca of Thibodaux, marketing;
- Dr. Cong-Cong Xing of Kenner, computer science.
Instructor to Assistant Professor
- Simone Camel of Thibodaux, dietetics.
- Chef Randy Cheramie of Thibodaux, acting dean of the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute;
- Dr. Laura Badeaux, director of the Louisiana Center for Women and Government;
- Dr. Michael Chiasson of Thibodaux, head of the Department of Accounting and Information Systems;
- Rebecca Lyons of Houma, head of the Department of Nursing;
- Dr. Earl Melancon Jr. of Thibodaux, head of the Department of Biological Sciences.
Those who received tenure include Dr. Deborah Bordelon of Thibodaux, education; Bhutta; Broussard; Durocher; Fanguy; Dr. John Griffin of Thibodaux, petroleum services; Dr. Gokhan Karahan of Thibodaux, economics; Chef George Kaslow of Raceland, culinary arts; Rachal; Tanya Schrieber of Thibodaux, nursing; Viosca; and Xing.