For students who do not follow the traditional route of pursuing a degree directly after high school, jobs in the Gulf Coast oil and gas industry are attractive options. The pay is good and employee demand is high. However, many workers find it hard to advance without a degree.
The Nicholls Petroleum Engineering and Safety Technology Program prepares students to:
- Research governmental regulations and recommended practices applicable to the oil and gas industry.
- Describe the components and processes involved in the drilling and producing of oil and gas.
- Perform technical calculations for maintaining well control and production measurement.
- Employ the methods of safe and environmentally compliant extraction of oil and gas from geologic formations using current industry practices.
- Achieve global employment supervisory positions in the drilling, production, service, and safety segments of the oil industry.