How long can influenza virus remain viable on objects (such as books and doorknobs)?
Studies have shown that influenza virus can survive on environmental surfaces and can infect a person for 2 to 8 hours after being deposited on the surface.
- Avoid close contact.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
- Stay home when you are sick.
If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
- Cover your mouth and nose.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Clean your hands.
Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits.
Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
What are the signs and symptoms of H1N1 flu in people?
The symptoms of H1N1 flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with H1N1 flu.
If you are sick, stay home. You do not need to bring your flu germs to work with you to share with everyone else in the office.
Some areas of germ collection to consider:
- Have you cleaned your cell phone lately? Cell phone can be potential carriers of germs and should be wiped down with an anti-bacterial sheet (such as a Clorox sheet) on a regular basis.
- Have you cleaned your office phone, computer key board, or desk area lately? Office furniture and equipment can be collection areas for germs and should be wiped down with an anti-bacterial wipe on a regular basis …..especially of others use them.
- Have you changed your home A/C filters lately? A good way to avoid the recirculation of bad air is to make sure that your home A/C filters are changed on a regular basis.