Go To ↓ Navigation & Information Other Information

2011 Fire Log

NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY

2011

FIRE LOG

Resident Facilities

Date

Time

Cause/Type of Fire

# of Injuries Requiring Medical Treatment

# of Deaths Related to Fire

Property Damage in Dollars

Case Number

La Maison Du Bayou

04/07/11

1700 hrs.

Cooking/Grease

1

0

0

2011-04017

La Maison Du Bayou

08/23/11

2020 hrs

Electrical

0

0

0

La Maison Du Bayou

12/09/11

1722 hrs.

Cooking

0

0

0

2011-00562

Case Number:

2011-04017 On 04/07/11 at approximately 1700 hrs. Nicholls State University Police responded to the La Maison Du-Bayou on-campus apartments with regards to a fire in building #4, room 412.  The investigation revealed that a student had attempted to boil water on the front left burner.  The student accidentally turned the left rear burner on, where a glass pot of used cooking oil had been left.  The oil heated up and caught fire.  As the student attempted to remove the pot from the burner, the pot was accidentally dropped.  As the glass pot hit the floor and shattered, the fire became extinguished.  At the time of the incident, the student reported that she was not hurt and did not need treatment.  Later that evening, she experienced trouble breathing and report to the local hospital for precautionary treatment.  The student was released without further trouble.

 

On 08/23/11 at approximately 2020 hrs, Nicholls State University Police responded to the La Maison Du- Bayou on campus apartments with regards to smoke coming from building #2, room 213.  Upon arrival, the officer found the kitchen and living room area to be filled with smoke.  It was immediately determined that the source of the smoke was coming from an electrical source.  The Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department was notified and responded.  Using thermal cameras and inspecting the area, it was quickly determined that the smoke had come from the microwave oven.  The electrical board on the oven had shorted out causing the source.  The electrical circuit breaker for the micro wave did trip as designed and prevented further damage.

 

Case Number: 2011-00562.  On 12/09/11 at 1722 hrs. Nicholls University Police responded to the La Maison Du-Bayou on-campus apartments after receiving a call from the local 911 dispatcher that a fire was reported at room 213.  The local fire department was notified and responded as well.  The fire was out upon arrival.  The room attendant explained that the oven had been turned on to cook dinner, and that it was unknown that a plastic plate with bread on it had been left in the oven.  Upon seeing the smoke, the oven was immediately turned off, and the fire alarm pulled as the room attendants exited the room.  No one was hurt, and the apartment received no damage.

 

Go To ↑ Top