All candidates in the Elementary Education program must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA and a “C” or above in all coursework.
Elementary Education candidates are required to take courses in:
- Methods in providing a multicultural environment
- Methods in Creative Arts and Music
- Methods in Language and Literature, Math, Science, and Technology
- Methods in Developmental Reading Methods in Elementary Education
- Classroom Management and Lesson Planning
Field Experiences: Elementary Education candidates complete various field experiences throughout required coursework and a student teaching experience that is completed at the end of the program. These experiences include observations and teaching whole group, small group and individual instruction in public school settings as well as experiences within the Demonstration Room within the College of Education.
Candidates must also complete Praxis I and the following three sections of Praxis II for Louisiana Teacher certification in Elementary Education: PLT: K – 6th , Special Education: Mild Moderate, and Elementary Content Knowledge
Praxis I must be completed prior to entering EDUC 250 (Introduction to Education) and Praxis II must be completed prior to the final student teaching semester.
Elementary Education 1-5th Louisiana State Department of Education Certification:
- 1-5th Elementary Education Certification
Graduate Job Opportunities:
- 1st Grade Teacher
- 2nd Grade Teacher
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- 4th Grade Teacher
- 5th Grade Teacher