The professional photojournalist services provided by the Office of University Relations support the mission and vision of Nicholls State University, as outlined in the 2006-2010 strategic plan, by photographically documenting high-priority messages and providing high-quality images for reputation-defining communications.
The university photojournalist serves the needs of the entire campus community by photographing a diverse range of subject matter for use in coordinated strategic marketing campaigns. The university photojournalist maintains an extensive file of digital photos, including Nicholls classroom and campus scenes, student life, portraits, and events. These photos are continually updated and are available for use by the university community.
University photojournalist scheduling priority is given to:
- Recruiting efforts – faculty, undergraduate, and graduate students
- Newsworthy events – events that merit local, regional, or national media interest
- Annual university sponsored events – homecoming, commencement, Sponsor A+ Scholar Food and Wine Extravaganza, Bite of the Arts, Jubilee, etc.
- University publications -Voila!, Allons, The Colonel, Inside Nicholls State University, athletic media guides, departmental brochures, Jubilee magazine, etc.
- Public relations and marketing efforts – web site, press releases, and paid advertising
The university photojournalist does not schedule requests that produce photographs solely for a department’s personal use for memory albums or bulletin board displays.
The Office of University Relations will schedule the university photojournalist for all major university events. However, it is advisable that the department in charge of planning the event call the university photojournalist at 985.448.4477 to confirm event details. For all other university events, please submit the request for photographic services form (doc) as far in advance as possible. All requests are subject to the approval of the director of University Relations. Send completed request forms by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 985.448.4891, or by campus mail to the Office of University Relations, 125 Elkins.
If the university photojournalist is unable to photograph an event, the Office of University Relations has a digital camera that is available to all faculty and staff at no charge. The camera is available on a first-come first-served basis. A list of local photographer names and numbers is also available through the university photojournalist.
Photo Reprint Procedure:
Photograph reprints for official university use or for personal use can be ordered for a nominal fee.
To request photograph reprints for official university use:
- Small reprint orders – quantity of 10 or fewer and 8×10 or smaller will be processed by the university photojournalist and printed on high-quality paper in the Office of University Relations. To order photograph reprints, call the university photojournalist at 985.448.4477, send an e-mail to email@example.com, fax the request to 985.448.4891, or send it to the Office of University Relations, 125 Elkins.
- Large reprint orders – quantity of 11 or more and larger than 8×10 – the university photojournalist will post the photos online at Walgreens.com, where reprints can be ordered, paid for using the P-card, and printed by Walgreens. Customers will be notified when their pictures are posted and available for ordering. Pictures can be mailed or picked up, at the customer’s convenience, at Walgreens.
To request photo reprints for personal use, visit the online photo store at www.nicholls.edu/photos.
For additional information call the Office of University Relations at 985.448.4477.
Nicholls State University reserves the right to photograph members of the university community, including but not limited to its students, faculty, and staff, in situations appropriate to the image of an academic institution, and to publish likenesses in press releases, publications, videos, or other recruitment or promotional materials.
Copyright notice: All photographs (prints and digital files) purchased are subject to copyrights of the university and are protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) and by the Berne Convention. Reproduction, storage or transmittal by any means, of any image, whole or in part, is prohibited without express prior written permission. Prints or digital files may not be reproduced or scanned for any reason and may only be used for official university use. If you wish to publish or reproduce the materials in any physical or digital form or use them for any commercial purpose, including display or web page use, you must obtain prior written permission from the Office of University Relations.
Approved by the President’s Cabinet
August 21, 2007