Links to Internet sites
General Writing Concerns
- Purdue University — Addresses planning/starting to write, effective writing, revising/editing/proofreading and types/genres of writing.
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison — Comprehensive site, very much like Purdue’s.
Writing Process, Grammar and Punctuation
- Purdue University — This is just about the best writing-related link. This link addresses punctuation, capitals, spelling, sentence construction and parts of speech.
- Purdue University — An information site that clearly explains what academic plagiarism involves. This site would make an excellent handout. (Remember to keep the copyright information attached.)
- Bedford St. Martin’s Research and Documentation — A guide to MLA, APA, Chicago and CBE style manuals.
- Purdue University — “Research Papers” gives links to related sites for documenting information obtained via an electronic medium. It includes information on MLA, APA and disciple-specific formats. Also included is information on outlining, paraphrasing, plagiarism, quoting and summarizing.
- Modern Language Association — Style page that is a “straight-from-the-horse’s-mouth” way to find out the MLA format for citing Internet sources.
- Ellender Library — Ellender is the main library on the Nicholls campus. This link takes you to the page used for library research.
- Library of Congress — Rich site for any research endeavor. The sheer volume of information makes this a great site to visit regularly.
- Purdue University’s Business Writing Page — Offers information on resume writing, memo writing and other professional writing concerns.
ESL Student Concerns
- Purdue University’s ESL Page — Contains information on grammar, idioms, vocabulary and academic conventions and offers discussion list information.
- Purdue University’s Resources for Writing Across the Curriculum — Includes a link to resources for class assignments, pedagogical theory and writings on the use of WAC, WID and Writing to Learn in particular disciples. Also included are links to other university WAC sites.
Standardized Test Preparation
- PRAXIS: http://www.ets.org/praxis
- ACT: http://www.actstudent.org/testprep
- ACT and other various discipline test prep: http://www.testprepreview.com
Please feel free to e-mail suggestions for additions to this page to firstname.lastname@example.org