GET THE LATEST NICHOLLS CORONAVIRUS UPDATE

Campus Update: Much Needed Break Around the Corner

Dear Members of the Nicholls Community,

As we surpass 500 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Region 3, which encompasses most of Nicholls service region, we are bracing for difficult days ahead. The virus will continue to spread quickly across our region in the coming days, underscoring the importance of staying home as much as possible and practicing social distancing. 

Pass/Fail
The faculty have taken a very measured, thoughtful, and student-centered approach to establishing a grading guide for Spring 2020. Highlights include extending the withdrawal date (W date) to April 20, 2020, extending a generous policy for awarding incompletes (I), and waiving academic suspension procedures. I support the faculty’s decision to forgo a P/F option. A “P” is almost universally synonymous with a “C,” and the impact of a “P” for TOPS eligibility and for accredited academic programs remains unclear. 

Computer Lab
We continue to provide computer and internet access to students in need; only the location has changed. To continue to serve students, we have moved the computer lab to Ellender Hall with hours from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday – Thursday and noon to 5 p.m. on Friday – Sunday.

Summer Semester
I commend all of you for working so hard to make the transition to the virtual world of education, but I also know that you, like me, want to get back to the campus we love. I hope that this pandemic will ease up before the start of the summer semester, allowing us to conduct some face-to-face classes on campus. Today, we are announcing a $200 scholarship to all traditional undergraduate students registered for at least 3 hours for the summer semester.  

Spring break
Many of you are tired and deserve a much needed break, which is why we are maintaining our scheduled spring break beginning Friday, April 10. Classes will resume on Monday, April 20. I ask that everyone be mindful of the fact that this is a break for faculty as well as students. 

As always, I encourage you to check our Emergency page, which is updated often. 

With Colonel Pride,

Jay Clune, President
Nicholls State University
Louisiana’s Coastal University 

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
Print