Nicholls State University is committed to helping students achieve their academic and personal goals. Sometimes a student may have difficulties that affect their academic performance, resulting in academic probation or academic suspension. Students are placed on academic suspension at the conclusion of any semester in which they were on academic probation and did not earn a 2.00 semester GPA.
The university allows and encourages students to appeal their academic suspensions. Upon re-admission, the student may take advantage of resources and services that will help them improve their academic performance such as tutoring and academic coaching.
Students suspended for the first time:
Students suspended for the first time will be sent information regarding academic suspension and appealing from their dean’s office to their student e-mail account.
Students with less than 30 earned hours:
Students with less than 30 earned hours will be notified by University College and will appeal through that office. You may print out the required appeal form by clicking here.
Students with more than 30 earned hours:
Students with more than 30 earned hours will be notified and appeal through their academic college.
- If your major is in the College of Arts and Sciences you will appeal to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences: 127 Peltier Hall, 985-448-4386.
- If your major is in the College of Business Administration you will appeal to the Dean of the College of Business Administration: 106 White Hall, 985-448-4171.
- If your major is in the College of Education you will appeal to the Dean of the College of Education: 220 Polk Hall, 985-448-4326.
- If your major is in the College of Nursing and Allied Health (including The Chef John Folse Culinary Institute) you will appeal to the Dean of the College of Nursing and Allied Health: 172 Ayo Hall, 985-448-4686.
Students suspended for the second (or more) time:
Fall 2017 appeal deadline: Tuesday, August, 8, 2017
Second-time (or more) suspended students will be e-mailed information from Academic Affairs. Students who have been suspended two or more times will submit their appeal online. Use the link below to complete the appeal form.
Click here to complete the multiple suspension appeal form. (you will be required to log in using your student e-mail credentials)
Any questions you may have regarding Financial Aid should be directed to that office. Appealing for an academic waiver of the suspension period, and appealing for financial aid are two separate matters.
- Academic Appeal Graduation Verification Form (pdf) – Only for students within 24 hours of graduation having multiple suspensions.