Letter and Instructions for Second-time (or More) Suspended Students

I am delighted that you chose to attend Nicholls State University and I believe in you.  I know that you have been placed on academic suspension. However I would like to personally encourage you to appeal your suspension. All of us at Nicholls are committed to helping you achieve your dream of earning a college degree at Nicholls State University.

You will have an opportunity to appeal your suspension to the Academic Appeals Committee.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Thursday, January 11, 2018

If you would like to appeal, here is what you need to do:

  • Visit https://www.nicholls.edu/academics/academic-suspension-information/ . Here you will find the link to submit your appeal online, as well as guidelines for submitting supporting documentation.
  • As a condition of your appeal, the Academic Appeals Committee will require you to do one of the following if your appeal is approved:
    • Enroll in UNIV 100, Strategies for College Success, for the spring 2018 semester. This course was created to help you improve your academic skills, including the development of organizational, time-management, and study skills necessary for optimizing your academic performance. Much of your time in UNIV 100 will be devoted to helping you succeed in your spring courses. Tutoring will be available for hands-on assistance with some courses. To enroll in this course, please contact the Academic Advising Center at 985-448-4117.
    • Participate in academic coaching sessions to help you better understand the demands and requirements of your college major, and to help you develop skills to manage your academic and personal needs.
  • Please submit your appeal as soon as possible, but no later than 4:30 PM on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.

Again, I believe in you and we are committed to your academic success. We look forward to working with you to help you realize your dream of graduating from Nicholls, and I look forward to watching you walk across the Commencement stage to receive your diploma.

You will be notified of the status of your appeal, via telephone and via mailed letter, shortly after the Committee meets to review your appeal. If you live in campus housing please call Housing and Residence Life at 985-448-4479. There are housing deadlines that must be met to keep your spring 2018 housing assignment.
If you fail to appeal your suspension or your suspension appeal is denied, you will not be allowed to take classes for one calendar year. You may reapply to Admissions once the suspension period has ended.

If you registered early for the spring 2018 semester and fail to meet the January 9th deadline to appeal your suspension, your schedule will be removed.

If you met the deadline to appeal your suspension and your appeal is granted, you should be aware of the spring 2018 payment deadline:  4:15 p.m. on Friday, January 19, 2018.

Frequently asked questions regarding Suspension follow:

Can a student who has been suspended from one university attend another university?
An undergraduate student suspended from a University of Louisiana System institution may not enroll in another university within the System, but may enroll in a community college. To ensure minimal or no loss of credits upon return to the university, it is recommended that the student consult with his/her university advisor regarding the choice of courses to be taken at the community college. Credits earned under these conditions may be accepted for a degree at Nicholls State University provided grades of “C” or higher are earned in each of the courses to be transferred. If the grade earned is lower than a “C” in any course, that course will not transfer to Nicholls State University as credit toward the student’s degree, but the grade will be averaged into the cumulative GPA. For any clarification of these conditions, the student may see his/her dean or department head.

What must be included in the appeal packet?
You must submit a completed academic appeal form online through the suspension website.  You should also consider sending documentation to support your appeal.  The e-mail address you should use is in the online appeal form.  You are responsible for obtaining this documentation and including it with your appeal packet.

Where should I send this appeal packet?
Your appeal form is completed entirely online, you do not need to send any paperwork in.

What will happen once this appeal packet is received by the Office of Academic Affairs?
Academic Affairs will forward your appeal to the Academic Policies and Standards Committee. The recommendation of the Committee will be forwarded to the office of the Provost for review. You will then be contacted by Academic Affairs with the final decision.

Will my Financial Aid be affected by this appeal?
Approval or non-approval of your academic appeal for a waiver of suspension has no direct bearing on your financial aid status. Be sure to appeal separately to Financial Aid if you receive a letter from that office.

What should I do if my appeal is denied or I decide not to appeal the suspension?
If you do not appeal or your appeal is denied, you must remain out of the University for one calendar year and reapply to the Office of Admissions. Admission applications may be obtained from the Office of Admissions in the Otto B. Candies Hall, online at www.nicholls.edu, or by calling (985) 448-4507.

If you have any questions concerning this matter, please contact Academic Affairs at (985) 448-4012, or email– wendy.toloudis@nicholls.edu.

Lynn G. Gillette, Ph.D.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs