The Dual Enrollment/Early Start program gives high school students a chance to earn college credit while still working towards their high school diploma. Students in the Early Start Program often register for courses such as: Chemistry 105, Introductory Chemistry I; English 101, English Composition I; English 102, English Composition II.
All students participating in the Early Start/Dual Enrollment program at Nicholls State University must meet the minimum academic, age, and grade level requirements as outlined below. Nicholls reserves the right to change or amend the below requirements at any time.
- Student must be at least 15 years of age
- Currently enrolled in 11th or 12th grade
- Must have PLAN or ACT (or SAT) scores on file at Nicholls
- Minimum PLAN or ACT composite score of 18
- Minimum PLAN or ACT English sub score of 18 or Acuplacer Sentence Skills score of 86
- Minimum PLAN or ACT Math sub score of 19 or Acuplacer Elementary Algebra score of 65 or College Level Math score of 20.
- Must have a high school cumulative GPA of 2.35
To continue enrollment in subsequent semesters, student must have earned a college grade of A, B, C or P in all attempted college coursework. Limited, documented exceptions for continuation after withdrawal or final grade of D or F may be granted by Nicholls.
In order to participate in the Early Start/Dual Enrollment program, all students must meet the minimum Early Start/Dual Enrollment admissions requirements AND meet any prerequisites or co-requisites attached to the course chosen. A full list of Nicholls’ courses, and course descriptions with prerequisites and co-requisites information can be found here.
Early Start Admissions Application: Early Start Application
The application deadline for fall 2017 is Thursday, August 10, 2017.
Please keep in mind these important dates for the fall 2017 semester:
- Tuesday, August 15 at 3 pm- Early Start Orientation. Students enrolled in early start will receive an email with more information and location.
- August 18, 2017: If student changes their mind about attending in fall 2017, student must “unregister” by 4:15 pm to receive full refund and avoid processing charges. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to unregister.
- August 18, 2017: Student must pay tuition and fees by 4:15 pm to avoid late payment charge. **If your fees are covered by your school district or other supplemental entity, please disregard this note**
- Monday, August 21, 2017: Fall classes begin
- September 8, 2017: Full Term Fall 2017 census date. All full term courses dropped before or on this date, by 4:15 pm, will be removed from the student’s academic record.
- October 27, 2017: Final date for automatic W when dropping a Full Term course or resigning from the university.
- December 3, 2017: Semester ends
Spring 2018 application dates: Priority will be given to applications received by October 30, 2017. The application deadline for spring 2018 is January 12, 2018.
Pricing (effective Fall 2013):
Courses on Nicholls campus, taught by Nicholls faculty: $100 per credit hour, plus any course charge or fee attached to the class(es) selected.*
Nicholls online courses, taught by Nicholls Faculty: $100 per credit hour, plus any course charge or fee attached to the class(es) selected.*
Courses on the high school campus, taught by high school faculty: $50 per credit hour, plus any course charge for programs utilized in the off-campus class(es) selected.
**Some exceptions apply.