This page has been set up to help you as you prepare for your first semester at Nicholls. We want to offer you some reminders and tips to help you. Please browse the content below and the pages linked for helpful information. We have also attached some helpful documents for you.
If, at any time, you require assistance with any academic matter please contact your freshmen advisor. You are welcome to come in for an advising appointment at any time. You may schedule an appointment by calling 985-448-4117 or you may come in for a walk-in visit.
A listing of all advisors, their contact information, and the majors they advise can be found on our Faculty and Staff page.
- You must register for UNIV 101 during your first semester. Sections are divided by majors, so please select the one that matches your major. If you have difficulty scheduling this course, please call 985-448-4117.
- A semester course load of 15-17 credit hours is ideal. A course load of at least 12 semester hours is required to be considered a full-time student.
- If you have earned any credit through Dual Enrollment, enrollment at another university or community college, CLEP test credit, or have military credit you should notify your advisor. Any credit earned at another institution may require you to change your schedule. Please consult your advisor for a schedule review.
- For a listing of acceptable elective courses, please consult the registration packet you received at orientation or contact your advisor.
- If you wish to change your major, please consult your advisor. Different majors require different courses, so your schedule may have to be changed.
Math and English Placement:
- Placement in Math and English courses is determined according to ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer scores or any credit earned prior to enrolling at Nicholls.
- If you take the ACT, SAT, or the Accuplacer test after orientation, and your test scores improve, you might need schedule changes. Please consult your advisor for a schedule review. You can review the ACT/SAT/Accuplacer placement guide here.
- Any student enrolled in English 003, English 100, Math 002, Math 003, Math 116, or Math 100 may challenge their placement by taking the Accuplacer no more than three times prior to their first semester of enrollment. Please contact the Testing Center for information about the Accuplacer test.
The weekly class schedule chart helps you to plan your schedule.
Please use the listing of important phone numbers to contact university departments.
A short instruction sheet for BANNER.