Velma “Sue” Westbrook, D.N.S., MA, RN
Professor of Nursing
Dean of the College of Nursing and Allied Health
Office: 172 Betsy C. Ayo Hall
To be recognized as an innovative leader in the educational preparation of entry-level and advanced practice nurses and allied health professionals, and culinarians.
The mission of the College of Nursing and Allied Health at Nicholls State University is consistent with the mission statement and goals of the University. The mission of the College of Nursing and Allied Health is to prepare students to contribute to a global society and a diverse workforce as productive, responsible, and engaged citizens and as well-educated healthcare professionals and culinarians to meet the healthcare and culinary needs of the Bayou region and beyond. The mission is accomplished by continuous improvement in teaching, research, and service in a student-centered, culturally rich and spirited learning environment that fosters faculty, staff, and student engagement. The College extends its mission beyond instruction by offering continuing education activities for healthcare professionals. The College is dedicated to continuous quality improvement through systematic assessment and evaluation of program outcomes, processes, and current and former students.
The College of Nursing and Allied Health supports the Nicholls creed, affirming “values that promote citizenship, concern for self and others, and the desire for a better world,” by embracing its core values:
- CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY: We use our time and talents to serve our community, recognizing that service to others is the cornerstone of the health professions.
- DIVERSITY: We respect differences among members of society by providing a nurturing and open-minded environment.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to achieve the highest quality in all endeavors. We strive for excellence in teaching, research, service, and empowerment through learning.
- INTEGRITY: We strive to be fair and truthful in all instances.
- LEADERSHIP: We are good stewards and representatives of the university because we value our collective role as a regional leader and model for all we serve.
- RESPECT: We commit to the customs and amenities of a civil society. We respect the rights of others and are respond sincerely to the needs and interest of our constituents.
- RESPONSIBILITY: We are responsible for our actions. We adhere to the doctrine of individual accountability in all our activities and contributions.
- CARING: We treat others with empathy and openness in all our encounters while respecting each one’s individuality.
- PROFESSIONALISM: We strive to demonstrate integrity in all our actions and to be committed and accountable to our stakeholders.
- SAFETY: We commit to mitigating error through system analysis, quality improvement, and personal accountability and responsibility.
In an effort to fulfill the College and University mission, the following strategic goals have been developed:
- Increase opportunities for student access and success in nursing, allied health, and culinary disciplines.
- Increase research that engages faculty and students seeking knowledge in the areas of nursing, allied health, and culinary.
- Ensure quality, accountability, efficiency, and effectiveness in all nursing, allied health, and culinary programs.
- Increase recognition and visibility of the college for meeting regional workforce needs and for providing cultural enrichment and service to the community.
- Enhance sense of College community, pride in the University and service to the community.
Approval and Accreditation
Within the College of Nursing and Allied Health, the Department of Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program is approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing and is nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 200001. Additionally, Nicholls State University College of Nursing and Allied Health is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation, 8515 Georgia Avenue, Suite 400, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
The Department of Allied Health Sciences, Dietetics program is nationally accredited and certified by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics.
COLLEGE OF NURSING AND ALLIED HEALTH DEGREES AND PROGRAMS AT A GLANCE
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- Culinary Arts
- Culinary Operations Concentration
- Service Management Concentration
- Pâtisserie Concentration
- Professional Concentration
- Business Administration Concentration
- Business Entrepreneurial Concentration
- Business Strategic Concentration
- Education Concentration
- Mass Communications Journalism Concentration
- Mass Communications Production Concentration
- Mass Communications Public Relations Concentration
- Health Sciences
- Communicative Disorders Concentration
- Nutrition and Food Services Concentration
- Pre-Athletic Training Concentration
- Pre-Professional Concentration
ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE
- Culinary Arts
Minimum requirements for the degrees offered within the College conform to the university’s General Education Degree Requirements. In addition, the student shall:
- Complete satisfactorily one of the curricula offered by the College.
- Earn a minimum grade of C or better in course work in the major or as specified by the curriculum. Grade requirements in the minor fields are stated in each specific curriculum.
- Earn a grade of C or better in ENGL 101, 102, and any course used to fulfill the university writing-intensive course for the general education requirement. (generally ENGL 310, 368, or 468, or BSAD 310)
NOTE: Some programs of study in the College have selective enrollment.
Nursing and health care professionals have the responsibility to ensure that the welfare of society is safeguarded and enhanced. Consequently, persons whose actions, performance, or behavior could adversely affect consumers in the health care system may be subject to the sanctions of regulatory bodies which may affect progression in the respective program of study.
- CHEF JOHN FOLSE CULINARY INSTITUTE
- DEPARTMENT OF ALLIED HEALTH SCIENCES
- DEPARTMENT OF NURSING