Career Opportunities


Professional speech-language pathologists and audiologists are needed in the following areas or institutions:

  • Public and private schools
  • Hospitalsphoto10
  • Rehabilitation centers
  • Nursing care facilities
  • Community clinics
  • Colleges and universities
  • State and federal government agencies
  • State and local health departments
  • Home health care
  • Centers for individuals with developmental disabilities
  • Physicians offices
  • Private practice

Job outlook
According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, speech-language pathology and audiology professions are projected to continue experiencing healthy growth due to:

  • medical advances improving the survival rate of premature infants and individuals suffering trauma and stroke;
  • federal laws guaranteeing speech, language and hearing services to all eligible children with disabilities;
  • early identification of speech, language, swallowing, and hearing disorders;
  • an aging population that may experience hearing loss and associated speech, language and swallowing impairments and
  • an expected increase in retirement of currentĀ speech-language pathologists and audiologists.

The communicative disorders program provides students with academic study and clinical experience in both speech-language pathology and audiology.

Speech-Language Pathology

Completion of a masters degree or doctoral degree is required to become fully licensed in Louisiana and certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association in the field of speech-language pathology.

For students beginning their academic undergraduate careers at this time, completion of a doctoral degree is required to become fully licensed in Louisiana and certified by ASHA in the field of audiology.

Additional Resources
For more information about career opportunities, national certification, state licensure, differences between speech-language pathology and audiology, visit: