Assistant Professor and Clinical Supervisor of Communicative Disorders
It took Claire Bourgeois only seven years to return to her alma mater.
After graduating from Nicholls in 1992, she earned her master’s degree from LSU Medical Center and became a speech-language pathologist for The Therapy Group Inc. There, she trained home health agencies and co-workers; served in- and out-patient facilities, Head Start Centers, school systems and developmental centers; and supervised all speech-language pathologists, assistants and graduate students.
However, nothing beat the opportunity to teach students who were walking in her old shoes at Nicholls.
“What I like most about my job is the one-on-one contact that I have with my students during clinicals,” Bourgeois says. “This allows me to get to know each person individually and makes the job rewarding.”
In her spare time, Bourgeois enjoys spending time with her husband and two children, being outdoors and riding in a boat.
B.A., Nicholls State University; M.C.D., Louisiana State University Medical Center; and working on SLPD at Nova Southeastern University
COMD 327 — Phonetics
COMD 330 — Orientation to Clinical Practice
COMD 340 — Practicum in Speech and Language I
COMD 380 — Anatomy of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
COMD 386 — Assessment and Management of Fluency
COMD 397 — Voice Disorders
COMD 430 — Practicum in Speech and Language II
COMD 440 — Practicum in Speech and Language III
PHYS 121 — Physics of Sound
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- ASHA Interest Division of Supervision member
- ASHA Higher Education Special Interest Division member
- Louisiana Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association–Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology
- Louisiana Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist
University and community affiliations:
- Phi Mu Sorority, Recruitment Adviser
- Pro NSU, Board Member
116 Talbot Hall