July 10-21, 2017
The objectives of this program are:
- to promote training which will upgrade the skills of participants making them better employees;
- to provide background knowledge so that participants will be better prepared to assume positions of responsibility and leadership; and,
- to develop in participants an appreciation for the total operation of the plant.
Textbook and references
The textbook for the Institute will be Cane Sugar Handbook, 12th. ed. by Chen and Chou. References will be selected by instructors for their respective topics and will be reproduced, bound into a handbook and provided to each participant.
Classes will be lecture and discussion. Instructors will be encouraged to conduct an informal class in order to encourage questions and discussions by participants. A-V equipment will also be utilized when appropriate. After successful completion of course, students are awarded a Sugar Institute certificate of completion. Upon request, a certificate for applicable Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be issued at the close of each Institute.
The total fees for the short course are $2,625 per participant. This includes room, board and all workshop materials. Fees for commuters are $2,325. Housing is provided in the University residence hall and is included in the fees. Local motels are available for those who do not wish to stay in the residence hall. Commuter fees would then be applicable. Please make checks payable to: Nicholls State University. There is a $25 additional fee for all payments made by wire transfer. Participants name and company must be listed on all wire transfers.
***Registration Deadline for 2017 — June 26, 2017***
- Payment must be made in U.S. dollars on a U.S. bank with a U.S. address. Payment must be received one week before the Institute begins.
- In the event of a housing status change, refunds will not be issued.
- Wire transfers are now accepted for an additional $25.00 fee. The name of the participant and company must be listed on the transfer.
- Any cancellation must be received before close of business on the Friday before the start of the Institute in order to receive a full refund.
- Overview of the Sugar Industry
- Clarification Methods
- Adsorption Process/Ion Exchange
- High-Grade and Low-Grade Crystallization
- Conditioning, Storage of Granulated and Liquid Sugar
- Centrifugals and Their Operation
- Sugar Marketing, Government Programs
- Energy Economy
- The Control Laboratory
- Basic Instrumentation/Operational Computers
- Overview of Legal Regulations(EEOC, EPA, FDA,OSHA, etc.)
- Statistical Quality Control
- Problem Solving, Panel of Experts
- Resumé, Evaluation
Individual needing accommodations (ADA), please contact 985-448-4783 or visit nicholls.edu/ada
Field Trips John Deere Industries, Domino Sugars, Honiron Inc., Enterprise Sugar Factory