May 29- June 7, 2019
The objectives of this program are:
- to promote training which will upgrade the skills of participants making them better employees;
- to provide background knowledge so that participants will be better prepared to assume positions of responsibility and leadership; and,
- to develop in participants an appreciation for the total operation of the plant.
Classes will be lecture and discussion. Instructors will be encouraged to conduct an informal class in order to encourage questions and discussions by participants. A-V equipment will also be utilized when appropriate. After successful completion of course, students are awarded a Sugar Institute certificate of completion. Upon request, a certificate for applicable Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be issued at the close of each Institute.
The total fees for the short course are $2,650 per participant. This includes room, board and all workshop materials. Fees for commuters are $2,350. Housing is provided in the University residence hall and is included in the fees. Local motels are available for those who do not wish to stay in the residence hall. Commuter fees would then be applicable. Please make checks payable to: Nicholls State University. There is a $25 additional fee for all payments made by wire transfer. Participants name and company must be listed on all wire transfers.
***Registration Deadline for 2019 – May 15, 2019***
- Payment must be made in U.S. dollars on a U.S. bank with a U.S. address. Payment must be received one week before the Institute begins.
- In the event of a housing status change, refunds will not be issued.
- Wire transfers are now accepted for an additional $25.00 fee. The names of the participant and company must be listed on the transfer.
- Any cancellation must be received before close of business on the Friday before the start of the Institute in order to receive a full refund.
- Overview of the Sugar Industry
- Cane as the Raw Material Varieties, Sampling and Payment Scale
- Preparation and Milling Storage, Washing, Chopping, Crushing/Diffusion, Maceration Water, Sanitation
- Clarification and Filtration Purification, Apparatus, Reagents, Reaction, Heating
- Evaporation and Crystallization Evaporation, Boiling Systems, Pans and Designs, Molasses Exhaustion
- Centrifugals Principles, Efficiency, Maintenance
- Energy Economy Steam Balances, Energy Balance, Electrical Utilization, Boiler Efficiencies, Bagasse as a Source of Fuel
- Basic Instrumentation/Operational Computers Juice Scales, Flow Meters, Control Valves, Operational Control
- Chemical Control Chief Chemists, Laboratory, Factory Control
- Raw Sugar/Molasses/Value Added Products Handling, Storage and Marketing
- Government Programs/Regulations Farm Bill, E.P.A., O.S.H.A., Quotas
- Problem Solving, Resumé, Evaluation
Individuals needing accommodations (ADA) please contact 985-448-4783 or visit nicholls.edu/ada
Nicholls State University
USDA Sugarcane Field Lab
John Deere Industries, Thibodaux
Enterprise Sugar Factory