College life can be a drastic change from living at home with your parents. There are many mental adjustments to be made and one of the first is making your finances less stressful. This takes some preparation and organization to know what money is coming in and going out.Here are a few helpful hints:
- Keep a financial journal
- Record ALL purchases (even the little ones)
- If you don’t have the cash don’t buy it (avoid credit cards)
- Share expenses with a roommate
- Use a pre-paid calling card
- Use your meal plan on campus (don’t eat out too much)
Using these tips and becoming more aware of your spending habits can relieve some of the emotional, physical and behavioral effects of financial stress.