To be admitted into the educational leadership program at Nicholls, applicants should possess the following:
- A bachelor’s degree or graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 on the final 60 hours of undergraduate coursework attempted.
- A minimum score of 1,300 is required on the formula: GPA on last 60 undergraduate hours times 200, plus the GRE General Test score (taken before August 1, 2011).
A minimum score of 335 is required on the formula: GPA on last 60 undergraduate hours times 20, plus the GRE General Test score (taken after August 1, 2011).
Additional requirements for K-12 School Leadership and Educational Technology Leadership concentrations:
- Prior to entering the School Leadership or Ed Tech cohorts, students must complete a foundations core with a grade of B or better. The foundations core includes:
- EDFR 501 — Educational Research
- EDLE 501 — Introduction to Ethical Leadership and Assessment Techniques
- EDFR 504 — History and Philosophy of American Education
- Requirements for admission to the cohort include:
- documentation of previous leadership activities,
- letter of recommendation from school superintendent/private school equivalent or designee,
- letter of recommendation from school principal or designee,
- possession of Level II or Type B teaching certificate,
- letter from school principal willing to serve as a mentor and
- interview with program emphasis area faculty.
Additional requirements for Higher Education Administration concentration:
- Students who have a degree in education or who hold a teaching certificate are exempt from prerequisite course requirements. Students who do not have either of these credentials must complete six credit hours of prerequisite work. Students must enroll in EDUC 211 — The Psychology and Education of the Exceptional Child or EDCI 515 — Seminar in High Incidence Disabilities and EDUC 250 — Introduction to Elementary and Secondary Education or EDUC 421 — Current Practices and Strategies in Teaching during the first 12 hours scheduled.
- Additional requirements for admission include:
- three letters of recommendation and
- a satisfactory interview with program emphasis area faculty.