Dr. Leah Peterson
B.S., Human Performance Education & Certification in English Education, Nicholls State University
M.S., Higher Education and Administration, Nicholls State University
D.Ed., Higher Education Leadership, Northcentral University
Professional position or role within the College of Education:
Dr. Peterson is responsible for the following components:
- Administering and maintaining the College of Education’s assessment system.
- Collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data at the unit, department and program levels (undergraduate and graduate).
- Producing assessment reports to be used by the Dean, department heads, and program faculty.
- Setting up and maintaining the college’s Exhibit Center.
- Coordinating assessment efforts to meet national, regional, and local accreditation standards.
- Additional duties include, but are not limited to, providing training and daily assistance for candidates, faculty, staff, supervising teachers, and mentors within LiveText.”
Accomplishments in relation to professional occupational field:
- 2013 Block, E., Burt, A., Papa, T., Peterson, L., Stall, G., & Theriot, A. (2013). An innovative approach to observational field experiences in higher education. Creative Education, 3, 1409-1418.
- 2013 Value-Added Grant
- 2011 Nicholls State University ITS Grant – $40,000 for IWB’s
- Louisiana Assessment Conference & LiveText Users Group
- Nicholls State University Center for Advancement of Faculty Engagement (CAFE)
- LiveText Assessment & Collaboration Conference
- Professional Affiliations
- Golden Key Honor Society
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
What are some interesting facts about yourself?
“I played Division I softball at Nicholls State University from 2003-2007 where I became the all time leader in doubles in a game, doubles in a season, and career doubles. I also finished as 4th in career total bases, 5th in career RBI’s and total hits while earning All-LSWA first team honors at third base in 2006 and 2007. While earning my Master’s, I was an assistant softball coach for the Nicholls State Softball Team from 2007-2010.”
Complete one of the following statements: “My dream job other than teaching at Nicholls would be…” -OR- “My future career aspirations include…”
“My dream job other than teaching at Nicholls would most likely be something related to writing. I would love to work at my own pace constructing poetry, short-stories, or even helping others with grant opportunities just to pursue my love of writing.”
Answer one of the following questions: If you were to win the lottery, what would you do with the winnings? -OR- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
“If I were to win the lottery, the first thing I would do is pay back my parents for the long-running tab I have accumulated with them. Then I would love to buy my family members each something special like my dad a new boat, my mom a condo on the beach, and my brother a house overlooking Audubon Park in New Orleans. I would certainly pay off my own debt, then I would love to donate money to a local shelter to help rescue dogs. I would also love to be able to travel!”