The Graduate Council is an academic standing committee as per the Faculty Handbook section 184.108.40.206. It reports to the Director of University Graduate Studies.
Purpose: To study and review curriculum, program and policy proposals related to the graduate program; review applications for appointment to graduate faculty; act on graduate student appeals related to academic standards.
Duties and Procedures
- Convened by the Director of University Graduate Studies or the chair once a semester and otherwise as needed.
- Review curriculum, program, and policy changes submitted by college graduate curriculum committees before making recommendations for acceptance or rejection of each to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Serve as appeals board for graduate students.
- Recommend students for candidacy and for graduation.
- Coordinate with University staff responsible for preparation of the Undergraduate/Graduate Catalog.
- Report to Faculty Senate concerning Council activities at least once a year, excepting confidential information related to appeals.
- Review applications for appointment to graduate faculty and make recommendations to the President of the University.
The Faculty Appointment to the Graduate Faculty section of this Manual has specific information about faculty appointment to the Graduate Council.
To place an item on the Council agenda, contact the Director of University Graduate Studies, the Council Chair, or a graduate studies coordinator. The agenda is generally developed by the Director.
The Council consists of fifteen members as follows:
- Two Regular Members of graduate faculty elected in the College of Business Administration, the College of Education and the College of Nursing and Allied Health. One Regular Member elected in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Graduate studies coordinators from the College Business Administration, Education, and Nursing and Allied Health, and from the Departments of Biological Sciences and Department of Mathematics. (ex officio)
- Director of the Library (ex officio, nonvoting).
- Representative of Records and Registration (ex officio, nonvoting).
- Director of University Graduate Studies (ex officio, nonvoting).