National Pan-Hellenic Council
The organizations that fall under the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) are unique in their membership requirements and processes. Rather than hosting a formal membership registration for all of the fraternities and sororities, each NPHC organization has an individual membership application and intake process prescribed by their national headquarters. Students cannot join NPHC organizations until they are of sophomore status (30 hours). Furthermore, the scheduling of membership can differ for each group. Based on the preferences of the chapter members, an organization can choose to have intake during the Fall, Spring, or both.
Since each NPHC organization was founded on different principles, it is beneficial to research and differentiate the fraternities and sororities. Most NPHC groups have websites that offer information about the collegiate chapter and the organization on a national level. Another way to learn about the different organizations and their members is to attend programs held around campus.
For further on membership requirements please contact the individual chapters
National Pan-Hellenic Council Intake Requirements
Office of Greek Life, Nicholls State University:
- Fraternity/Sorority must be recognized by the University. Recognition is the formal process by which Nicholls permits a fraternity or sorority to function on campus, conduct membership/intake activities, and be considered part of the university. For a fraternal organization to obtain recognition through the Office of Greek Life, it must:
- Operate under a constitution and bylaws that have been approved by Nicholls State Office of Greek Life.
- Demonstrate sound financial standing.
- Be affiliated/active with a national fraternity or sorority. Note: the National Pan-Hellenic Council will only consider requests for recognition by NPHC-affiliated organizations.
- The requesting organization must be in compliance with the rules and regulations established by the national affiliate.
- Present an initial membership list of at least three (10) currently registered, degree-seeking students who are not on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Identify a person, who is not an undergraduate, to serve as the faculty advisor.
- Be affiliated with a local graduate chapter who will oversee and accept responsibility for the chapter.
- Fraternity/Sorority must be in good standing with Nicholls State.
- Provide name and contact information for chapter advisor, on-campus advisor (if applicable), and current membership.
- Provide a letter from the Chapter Advisor on official letterhead approving the intake process and approving the schedule of events and activities being planned for intake.
- Provide a list of students undergoing intake process including their contact information.
The above requirements must be met and documentation submitted to the Office of Greek Life, prior to beginning any form of intake. Failure to meet these requirements may result in sanctions and/or judicial action.