Residence Requirements


Residential  Requirement


The University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors understands on-campus living is an essential part of the college experience.  Therefore, the Board requires all unmarried full time undergraduate students to live in on-campus housing as long as space is available unless the student meets one or more of the following criterion:


  1. Living with his/her parents, grandparents, or married sibling and commuting daily to Nicholls from their permanent home,
  2. Married or a single custodial parent,
  3. 21 years of age or older as of the first day of fall semester classes,
  4. Earns 90 credit hours by the first day of fall semester classes,
  5. Demonstrates a financial, medical, or personal hardship.


To obtain an exemption from the on-campus living requirement, a student must submit an On-Campus Residence Exemption Application requesting exemption for one of the reasons noted above.  The On-Campus Residence Exemption Application must be approved before the student may reside off campus.

Once the student enters into the Housing & Meal Service contract, the student is committed to the full term of the contract.  Meeting one or more of the criteria listed above during the contract period does not automatically void the contract and permit the student to leave campus housing.

After you are admitted to Nicholls, you must submit an On-Campus Residence Exemption Application or the Nicholls Housing and Food Service Contract.

For more information on exemptions, refer to the On-Campus Residence Exemption Application.