There are  few things for all international students to consider prior to seeking employment


Students on the F-1 visa are  permitted to work on campus. The work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session or full time during official breaks and vacation periods.

There are two types of student worker positions on campus – federal and state. International students who are here on a visa are only allowed to work under state student worker positions
You can access the Student employment webpage, to search for current available on campus positions,

If hired you will then need to bring to the International Student Services office  a letter from your prospective employer stating that they are hiring you for a state student worker position. We will then issue you a letter which you will carry to the Social Security office in order to obtain a Social Security number.


Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization that gives the F1 student an opportunity to apply knowledge gained from their academic program to practical work experience off campus.

Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work authorization for an F-1 international student who is enrolled in a degree program or course that requires an internship or alternate off-campus work experience.

Severe Economic Hardship
If other employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient, an eligible F-1 student may request off-campus employment work authorization based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control