- Complete the Study Abroad application form indicating the French partner University of your Choice.
- Meet with your academic advisor to get approval for study abroad exchange program.
- Turn in the approved application to International Students Services in Student life.
Once the application has been approved and you have received a letter of acceptance from the French University, the following steps will guide you as you apply for a visa to study in France.
CAMPUSFRANCE STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS
NOTE: The visa application process and visa application fees are separate from the CampusFrance application and fee described below. The CampusFrance process must be completed prior to scheduling a visa appointment at the French Embassy.
Click on the link below and carefully read all the information provided by CampusFrance, an organization dedicated to assisting students in the procedures required to study in France.
This link will guide you through the following steps and information:
– How to create a CampusFrance account
– How to complete the CampusFrance application form (through a system called PASTEL)
– Which documents are required to complete the process
– CampusFrance processing fees and payment instructions
– Timeline for confirmation of completed CampusFrance process (approximately 3 – 4 weeks)
As soon as the PASTEL application is approved (confirmation email received in your CampusFrance inbox), you will then be able to make an appointment for your French Visa.
OBTAINING A FRENCH VISA
CampusFrance will assign you to the French consulate closest to your permanent address, which is Houston, Texas for students living in Louisiana. Please note: You will be applying for an ‘Extended-stay student visa with residency permit (VLS-TS)’ unless you will be in France for less than 90 days, in which case you will apply for a short stay visa.
1) Schedule an in-person appointment with visa services via the Consul General of France in Houston website at https://www.consulfrance-houston.org/spip.php?article1068
Appointments for visa applications are available in the morning only. Your visa appointment must take place no more than 90 days before your departure to France, and it is strongly recommended that you book your appointment at least 6 to 8 weeks before your planned departure date.
2) Appear at the consulate for a visa interview at your appointed time.
Applicants are required to appear in person at the consulate for a visa interview. To make sure that your visa interview goes as smoothly as possible, verify beforehand that you bring with you:
– The required visa processing fee is $50 Euros payable in US dollars by credit card or cash at the interview.
– the required official documents, application form and ID picture.
– Attestation from CampusFrance
It takes at least five to seven business days for a visa to be granted, depending on the situation.
It is very important that you go on the official website of your assigned consulate to get further details on applying for a French Visa; booking an appointment, what documents are required, paying the visa processing fees and more.
Once the visa has been approved, your passport will be stamped with a visa stamp and returned to your address (provided during your visa appointment) using a secure form of delivery. You are ready to go to France!
Remember your first step in the visa process is to visit CampusFrance at USA.CAMPUSFRANCE.ORG as it explains the process above in greater detail. The entire process from CampusFrance application to getting your visa in the mail can take up to 8 weeks or more, so start the process as soon as you have been approved by Nicholls State University as a study abroad candidate.