To commemorate all of the Nicholls State University English alumni, the Department of Languages and Literature would like to acknowledge its Alumni students. We in the department want to show our current students what they can do with their English degrees, whether it be continuing their education in a graduate school or joining the work force.
Graduates from the Department of Languages and Literature are highly attractive to employers and graduate schools. Knowing how to communicate, especially in a foreign language, is valuable in every field and in our global marketplace.
Career options, with links to job outlooks, include:
- Advertising copyeditors
- Editors of books and other publications
- Marketing associates
- Congressional aides
- Web developers
- Technical reporter (quality assurance and compliance regulations)
- Public relations manager/specialist
- Etc, etc, etc. With good communication skills, an English major can go anywhere.
Top 10 Reasons to become an English Major
Here are the advantages of pursuing a degree or minor from the Department of Languages and Literature:
- Take special interest courses like sports literature, web writing, Harry Potter and many more.
- Learn in small classes all taught by faculty holding the M.A. or the Ph.D. — no teaching assistants and no mega-sections.
- Study abroad in English, French, and Spanish.
- Increase your marketability with good communication skills or a second language.
- Be mentored by faculty who understand that advising is not just scheduling.
- Take courses on the web, in computer classrooms or in regular classrooms.
- Get a strong background in traditional English, American and World Literature.
- Study under two writers in residence and several distinguished faculty.
- Connect with people across barriers of language, culture and history.
- Become a valuable asset in a global economy.