The 2014 Undergraduate Humanities Symposium will be held the week of February 17, 2014.
- Abstract Deadline: December 3, 2013
- Notification of Acceptance: December 11, 2013
- Student Acceptance: December 16, 2013
- Symposium Panels: Week of February 17, 2014
- Award Decision Announcement: March 10, 2014
- Research Week Award Banquet: March 12, 2014
Call for Participation
2014 Undergraduate Humanities Symposium
Sigma Tau Delta, the Department of Languages & Literature, and the College of Arts & Sciences are pleased to announce the 2014 Undergraduate Humanities Symposium.
The Undergraduate Humanities Symposium will showcase humanities-based scholarly activities of undergraduates at Nicholls State University. All undergraduate students at Nicholls State are eligible to participate.
Papers on any topic within the fields of humanities are welcome, including but not limited to:
- Literary Studies
- Art History
- Film Studies
- Modern Language Studies
- History of . . . (Science, Math, Music, etc.)
- Cultural Studies
Participants must submit a 150-300 word abstract of their paper by November 13, 2013.
- Submissions may be for individual presentations or for panels comprised of three to four presenters.
- Panel proposals must include a brief panel description (no more than 300 words) and brief descriptions of each presentation (no more than 150 words).
- A committee comprised of Nicholls faculty, staff, and students will select and organize papers into presentation panels.
- Selected students will prepare and deliver a 12-15-minute oral presentation of their paper delivered in conventional humanities conference style. This means students will read the full version of their paper. Presentations may be supplemented with visual aids, PowerPoint slide shows, etc.
- Selected students will also submit a written version of their presentation to the committee. To be eligible for an award, students must orally present their papers and submit a written version of their papers.
- The committee will select the best paper and two runner up papers.
The winning paper will receive a $100.00 award and a certificate. The runner up paper will receive a $50.00 award and a certificate. The third place paper will receive a $25.00 award and a certificate. All students presenting and submitting papers will receive a certificate of participation.
Presentations will be held the week of February 17, 2014. All presentations will be held on the Nicholls State campus and are free and open to the public.
Please submit abstracts/proposals by November 13 , 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A printable version of the 2014 Call for Participation (CFP).