FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Whom do I see for more information about MACO’s degrees?
- What are the two areas of concentration in the Mass Communication degree?
- What courses do I have to take to major in Journalism or Public Relations?
- Who is my advisor?
- Are there scholarships available to students majoring in Mass Communication?
- When are available scholarships posted?
- Can I major in two areas of Mass Communication?
- Are Internships available?
You can see any of our faculty members who teach in the area of interest. Their contact information can be found on the faculty page. The faculty member’s area of teaching is listed along with phone numbers, email addresses and office locations. If a faculty member is unavailable, please contact our department’s administrative assistant Mrs. Marnya Forbes and she will be able to help you. She can be reached at 985-448-4586 or 102 Talbot Hall.
2. What are the two areas of concentration in the Mass Communication degree?
Students majoring in Mass Communication can choose one of 2 specialties: Journalism or Public Relations.
3. What courses do I have to take to major in Journalism or Public Relations?
Check out our degree programs for curriculum and course requirements.
4. Who is my advisor?
If you do not have an advisor yet, our department adminstrative assistant Mrs. Marnya Forbes will assign you one of our faculty members. She can be reached at 985-448-4586 or 102 Talbot Hall.
5. Are there scholarships available to students majoring in Mass Communication?
Yes. There are currrently 10 scholarships dedicated to Mass Communication majors. About $17,000 was awarded last year to Mass Communication majors from these scholarships. You can find out more about available scholarships at the scholarships page or our website.
6. When are available scholarships posted?
Scholarship openings are announced after mid-term of every semester. You will hear it in your MACO classes, see flyers on bulletin boards, our social media accounts and a posting on our website.
7. Can I major in two areas of Mass Communication?
Yes. But see your advisor first for the pros and cons.
8. Are Internships available?
Yes. Many of our juniors and seniors find internships that offer experience in their field before graduation. Some internships are already established and others are found by the students themselves.
You should be a junior or senior most of your concentration coursework completed before applying for an internship so you to have skills to impress the employer offering the internship.
You can get more details from your advisor and in the MACO Internship Handbook.