Frequently Asked Questions

Question #1
What are the admissions requirements for the program?
In addition to all general requirements for admission to the University and to Graduate Studies, applicants must:

  1. have a bachelor’s degree (with mathematics training which includes three-dimensional calculus and at least six additional hours of mathematics at the junior level or above  from accredited institutions and approved by the Department); AND
  2. have a minimum GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale; AND
  3. attain a minimum GRE General Test score of 300; AND
  4. submit three letters of recommendation.

An applicant who has a bachelor’s degree and who has a minimum GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale, and who lacks exactly one of the admission requirements (1), (3), and (4) listed above, may be admitted on conditional status with departmental approval. In the case of item (3), the required GRE score must be received within the first semester of study.  In the case of item (1), at most one academic prerequisite should be missing.

Return to Top

Question #2
Can I transfer credits from another university?

Answer: A student may transfer from a regionally accredited college or university a maximum of six semester hours of degree program credit, with no grade lower than B, provided that such transfer credit shall be applicable to the degree program. Both resident and extension credits are thus acceptable. Transfer credits are subject to a five-year limitation. The student must formally petition his or her academic dean for acceptance of transfer graduate credit. Final authorization of transferred credit is made by the student’s academic dean. Credit earned at another institution while under academic or non academic suspension will not be accepted by Nicholls for transfer.

Return to Top

Question #3
What are the time limitations on courses already completed?

Answer: It is expected that all requirements for the Master’s degree (including transfer credits, if any) will be completed within six consecutive years. If requirements for a degree cannot be completed within the normal time period of six years, the student may petition for an extension of time. The petition must explain why the degree cannot be completed within the time schedule for completing the program. Final authorization will be considered only in unusual and justifiable circumstances. A course taken more than six years before completion of degree requirements may be used in a student?s degree program only if revalidated by the professor of record for the course, or one who currently teaches the course. In the event that neither is available, a certifying professor may be designated by the department head for that discipline. Revalidation must be certified in writing after an examination or other work required by the certifying professor. Only courses currently contained in the University Bulletin may be revalidated.

Return to Top

Question #4
What are my career opportunities?


In Education:
College instructor
Community/Technical college instructor
High school teacher
Curriculum and Training

In Business:
Test Development
Catalog Prospecting Manager

Federal positions:

Return to Top