NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY
|Resident Facilities||Date||Time||Cause/Type of Fire||# of Injuries Requiring Medical Treatment||# of Deaths Related to Fire||Property Damage in Dollars||Case Number|
|La Maison Du Bayou||03/09/09||1743 hrs.||Cooking/Grease||1||0||16,500||09-0273-C|
09-0273-C: On 03/09/09 at approximately 1743 hrs. Nicholls State University Police responded to the La Maison Du-Bayou on-campus apartments with regards to a fire in building #7, room 716. The investigation revealed that a student had left the apartment and had gone to the convenient store located within the complex. Upon the student return, the apartment was filled with smoke and the unit’s fire alarm and sprinkler systems had been activated. The Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department responded and quickly extinguished the remaining fire. The Fire department reported that the stove had been left on, unattended with a pot of grease on it. During the incident, the student received minor burns to the left hand.