Students at Nicholls are expected to be partners in the process of fulfilling the mission of the University by creating and maintaining standards within student groups, team and organizations that are conducive to personal growth and development. If student groups, teams, and organizations are to play an integral part in the University’s plan, they must set standards that challenge each individual to achieve his or her greatest potential.
Hazing is the antithesis of this goal, in that it attempts to tear down the feelings of individual pride and self-esteem of the individual, supposedly in order to create some esprit de corps in the group. Furthermore,
Nicholls State University adheres to the UL System Statement on Hazing- Revised 8.23.18 and upholds all LA statutes related to hazing. Student organizations and/or individual members found to have engaged in hazing shall be in violation of the Code of Student Conduct and Louisiana Revised Statute R.S. 14:40.8.
- To maintain a safe learning environment that is free from hazing. Hazing activities of any type are inconsistent with the educational goals of the Nicholls State University and Louisiana Law and are prohibited at all times. No student, faculty member, employee or administrator, guest, contractor or volunteer shall plan, direct, encourage, aid or engage in hazing.
- to assist with preventing hazing;
- to encourage reporting which is the responsibility of every member of the university community;
- to accept the personal obligation to adhere to the basic community values of being civil, and respectful of others;
- to protect the safety and rights of students; and
- to preserve the educational environment.
Hazing is defined as any intentional, knowing, or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution, by one person alone or acting with others, directed against an individual that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in, or maintaining membership in any organization whose members are or include students at an educational institution, including but is not limited to:
- The person knew or should have known that such an act endangers the physical health or safety of the other person or causes severe emotional distress.
- The act was associated with pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, participating in, holding office in or maintaining membership in any organization.
Reporting Hazing Activities
|University Police Department||Dean of Students|
|Office of Student Life||University of Louisiana System|