Voluntary Medical Withdrawal from the University

If a student is unable to complete the coursework or other course of study for a semester due to medical and/or mental health reasons, the student may request a medical withdrawal from the University. Medical withdrawal requests must be supported by appropriate documentation from a licensed care provider, submitted to the director for counseling and health services and approved by Vice President of Student Affairs. Any student receiving a medical withdrawal during the term may be required to remain out of class the succeeding term. This decision will be based on seriousness of illness and time of withdrawal. The institutional refund policy applies. Medical withdrawals must be made within the term being requested (during illness).


Involuntary Medical Withdrawal from the University

Invoked by the Dean of Students when a student is unable or unwilling to request a voluntary medical withdrawal and such a leave may be necessary because the student’s behavior severely disrupts and/or threatens the university’s learning environment. Before an involuntary medical withdrawal is considered, efforts will be made to encourage the student to take a voluntary medical withdrawal. The Dean may require a forensic evaluation to facilitate an informed decision.


Medical Withdrawal Re-enrollment

To re-enroll at the University following a medical withdrawal, a student must contact the University Counseling Center to schedule an appointment with the Director for Counseling and Health Services.  The student must secure a letter from the primary treatment provider that includes dates of treatment, treatment progress, treatment plan, and a recommendation to resume coursework and/or residential living at the University.  Once the student has been cleared by both the primary medical provider and the Director for Counseling and Health Services, then the student will be cleared to register for courses. If a student has other registration accounts holds, then those must be cleared with the respective departments in order for registration to occur.


Interim Action and Appeals

Pending the resolution of a conduct proceeding, the Vice President of Student Affairs or designated representative has sole discretion and final authority to take interim action, without prior notice, for reasons relating to the safety or welfare of students, faculty or staff; the protection of University property; the maintenance of public order; the preservation of the University’s reputation; and the effective continuation of University operations and the educational process. Interim action may include, but is not limited to, suspension; restrictions on University privileges, access, and activities; removal from or relocation within courses; or removal from or relocation within University housing. The Vice President of Student Affairs or designated representative also may make an administrative referral to the University Counseling Center whenever a student’s alleged actions may constitute a danger or hazard to the University community or a threat to self or others. Interim actions are not a finding that the charged student or group violated the Standards of Conduct.  The Vice President of Student Affairs or designee has sole discretion and final authority to modify or confirm the interim suspension.