***Set- up a practice quiz in your courses for students to test out the software with their computer hardware, operating systems and web browsers. This will allow them to troubleshoot any issues before a ‘real’ exam and test. DO NOT WAIT until the day before a test to introduce the new proctoring service to students. Respondus is now in the Beta testing stage for use with Chromebooks and can be used with iPads when enabled by the instructor. Students need to use the recommended web browser to prevent any issues with Moodle (See FAQs at bottom of page).***
Respondus is a browser just like Firefox and Chrome except it won’t let students open anything else during a Moodle quiz. Students will have to download this browser to take their exams. Respondus may not work with 3rd party tests outside of Moodle such as MyMathLab etc. See more about the differences between the LockDown Browser and Monitor below.
Step 1: Log into Moodle with your normal credentials and go to the course that you want to give a proctored quiz.
Step 2: Make sure editing mode is turned on in the course; go to Course Blocks on the top right of your Moodle page and then to Add a Block.
Step 3: Select Respondus LockedDown Browser and then find it and select Dashboard.
Step 4: This will bring you to the Dashboard that has videos etc. You can click on Continue to LockedDown Browser. This should show you all of the available quizzes in your class. You will then be able to edit them to include LockedDown Browser and/or Monitor to your exams.
If you have “no deployed test in this class” it means you are either not using the LockedDown browser or your course has no current quizzes. The video below is only 2-minutes and explains the entire process.
Step 5: Look at the resources on our Respondus folder in the Shared Drives for more information videos etc. and log into a Respondus training session.
Additional Help: https://web.respondus.com/support/
More training: https://web.respondus.com/webinars/
Here is a video to show how to use Respondus for your exams in Moodle:
Instructors DO NOT need to install LockDown Browser unless they want to test the Browser to experience the student perspective. If you want to do this, follow these two steps
Step 1: Click on the following link to download the browser. This is the university-specific link that faculty and students will need to go to for installing the software on their computers and iPad. It is not compatible with iPhones or Google Chromebooks. If you have issues downloading, installing or opening the file on your computer, email email@example.com for assistance with Respondus in the subject line.
Step 2: You will see a Zip file, then a .pkg file and then a globe which is the LockedDown Browser icon. This is a browser that you will use to create exams and students will use to take exams.
How a student can increase the font size on Respondus.
If you are a Windows user, to adjust the font size, click on the “i” icon in the LockDown Browser toolbar. This will open a new window where you can adjust the “zoom level” for your test. Zoom magnifies the entire page, including pictures. Be sure to click the “apply” button after making changes. You can also use the keyboard combination of “Ctrl” + “+” . Each time you tap the “+” key while holding the “ctrl” key, the screen magnification will increase until it reaches the maximum zoom level.
More information can be found here:
- LockDown Browser (prevents digital cheating on computers): https://respondus.com/lockdown
- Respondus Monitor (automated exam proctoring): https://respondus.com/monitor
Respondus is offering regular webinars for instructors and staff on LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
Additional training resources are available here.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts, and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Builds upon the power of LockDown Browser using a webcam and video analytics during non-proctored exams
- Uses webcam to record and analyze student exam session
- AI monitor for automated proctoring
- Review Priority is a comprehensive measure that conveys whether a student’s exam session warrants a closer look by the instructor.
- No scheduling required
- Auto launch
- #1 for automated proctoring
- Live chat for students
Technical Help: https://web.respondus.com/support/
- Can I copy a Respondus test to another course?
Yes, but you will need to go to the Respondus Dashboard in the course it was copied into in order to ‘activate’ the test with Respondus.
- What web browser should students use? (Moodle issue not Respondus issue)
PC = Firefox or Goolge Chrome
Mac = Firefox only
- Can I copy Respondus tests from another course?
You can copy a Respondus test, however, ***you MUST go to the Respondus Dashboard in order for Respondus to “activate” the lockdown browser and/or monitor for the copied test.
- Will user overrides in Moodle work for Respondus tests?
Yes, user overrides configured for a Moodle Quiz are recognized by the Respondus software. ***Please note: if you add the user override after adding the Respondus Lockdown Browser, you will need to go to the Respondus Dashboard in order to ‘activate’ the lockdown browser for the newly added test settings.***