Nicholls State University is committed to helping students achieve their academic and personal goals. Sometimes a student may have difficulties that affect their academic performance, resulting in academic probation or academic suspension. Students are placed on academic suspension at the conclusion of any semester in which they were on academic probation and did not earn a 2.00 semester GPA.
The university allows and encourages students to appeal their academic suspensions. Upon re-admission, the student may take advantage of resources and services that will help them improve their academic performance such as tutoring and academic coaching.
Academic Suspension Appeal Checklist
- Visit Outline for a Well Written Academic Appeal for assistance with writing your appeal.
- Gather documentation to support your appeal and attach it to the electronic appeal form. The documentation MUST refer to the circumstances referred to in your letter. Please reference Criteria and Required Documentation for Filing a Waiver of Suspension for information on required documentation.
Notification of appeal decision
Once an appeal decision has been made students will be contacted directly via their student email account. All decisions are final and binding.
Important Academic Appeal Information
- Appeal Deadline: The deadline to submit your academic appeal is Monday, August 8, 2022.
- You will be notified of the status of your appeal shortly after the decision has been finalized.
- If you live in campus housing please call Housing and Residence Life at 985-448-4479. There are housing deadlines that must be met to keep your Fall 2022 housing assignment.
- If you fail to appeal your suspension or your suspension appeal is denied, you will not be allowed to take classes for the term of your suspension, one semester or one calendar year. You may reapply for admission to the University once the suspension period has ended.
- If you registered early for the Fall 2022 semester and fail to meet the August 8 deadline to submit your appeal, your fall schedule will be removed.
- If you met the deadline to appeal your suspension and your appeal is granted, you should be aware of the Fall 2022 payment deadline: 4:15 p.m. CST on Friday, August 12, 2022.
Financial Aid Appeal
Appealing for a waiver of your academic suspension period, and appealing for financial aid are two separate processes. Approval or non-approval of your academic appeal for a waiver of suspension has no direct bearing on your financial aid status. Be sure to appeal separately to Financial Aid if you receive a letter from that office.
Any questions you may have regarding Financial Aid should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid, (985) 448-4048 or email@example.com.