Nature of Program: The Bachelor of Science Degree Program in Geomatics is designed to offer college level preparation for recent high school graduates and for those already working in the field of land surveying to meet the educational requirements for registration as a Professional Land Surveyor in the State of Louisiana. The program is based on standards necessary to attain accreditation by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
Definition of Geomatics: “Geomatics” is the new name rapidly becoming synonymous world wide with the term “Surveying”. Surveying has traditionally been defined as “the science, art, and technology of determining, or of establishing, the relative positions of points above, on, near, or beneath the earth’s surface.” Geomatics includes the traditional surveying definition along with surveying’s steadily increased importance with the development of new technologies and the growing demand for a variety of spatially related types of information, particularly in measuringand monitoring our environment. Increasingly critical are areas of expanding populations, appreciating land values, dwindling natural resources, and the continuing stressing of the quality of our land, water and air from human activities.
Objectives of the Program: The Geomatics Program will provide education in the way land form and spatial data are measured, recorded, processed, stored, retrieved and shared by the use of conventional methods and new technologies in Global Positioning Systems, Land Information Systems and Geographic Information Systems, and will align with the increasing demands by society for more data with increasing higher standards of accuracy.
Specific learning objectives of the Geomatics Program for students are:
- To prepare the student with a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles of Geomatics, and to develop their technical competency to practice in the surveying and mapping professions, and also prepare them for advanced and/or graduate studies.
- To prepare the graduate in the fundamental principles and practices in surveying and mapping to obtain employment as an entry level Geomatician.
- To prepare the student to successfully meet the educational requirement for professional registration, to successfully pass the Fundamental of Surveying Examination, and also to provide encouragement to pursue professional licensure.
- To provide an awareness of organizations and activities that allow students to develop leadership skills, to gain exposure to the Geomatics profession, to gain a broad understanding of the role of their profession in society, and to provide an understanding of the need for continued professional development throughout their careers.
- To promote a commitment to lifelong learning.
The Geomatics Program addresses the needs of the Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, and the Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors.
The use of traditional course scheduling, distance learning technologies, on-site course offerings, and internships will maximize educational opportunities for both the traditional and nontraditional students. ABET accreditation requirements insure that sufficient faculty and facilities will be available so that courses can be offered in a timely manner. Professional accreditation will enhance graduate credentials enabling them to find employment in a variety of professional areas both in state and nationally.